Recomendations for powered monitors under $300?

dvon1981

Hey everyone. I joined a while back and have finally gotten around to putting my new recording "skills" (not very good yet) to use. I have an edirol UR-80 audio interface hooked up to a laptop that is only used for recording. I'm running Sonar 2. Well I need a piar of powered monitors so I can start mixing better. My mixes have actually been coming out pretty well, but it's hard to mix acuratly using headphones and it would be nice to bve able to show the rest of my band what I'm doing.

So, Can anyone recomend some powered monitors for under $300? Please let me know if that isn't enough, or if a decent pair can be had for less. I just want an idea of what I should be looking for before i hit up the music stores in the area.

Thanks everyone

I think the M-Audio BX5s are in that range. I have the BX8s and love them. Really, I don't think it gets better than this for the money, but I'm sure other people have good experiences with other monitors. We have a pair of the Yorkville YSM1p monitors in our garage studio here and they sound pretty good too. I'm not sure how much they cost.

If you can, save a bit more money and don't cheap out on the monitoring. Even the BX8s are mid-level and they're more than your budget.

:D Yo Granite Ryan:

I've had both Yorkville passives, now KRK passives.

KRK monitors have an 8" woofer--many other lower priced monitors only have 6.5" monitors. Always check on that before you buy.

I've never used powered monitors but there is a ton of info here for you to look at.

I'm guessing you will like the powered KRK monitors but call all the 800 numbers and get the best price. I'm also predicting that your best price will come from Full Compass.

Green Hornet

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Granite Ryan:

I've had both Yorkville passives, now KRK passives.

KRK monitors have an 8" woofer--many other lower priced monitors only have 6.5" monitors. Always check on that before you buy.

I've never used powered monitors but there is a ton of info here for you to look at.

I'm guessing you will like the powered KRK monitors but call all the 800 numbers and get the best price. I'm also predicting that your best price will come from Full Compass.

Green Hornet

I'll look into the KRK's but isn't the list for those around $1000? i don't see myself being able to afford that

:D Yo Dvon:

Sorry I used the wrong handle in my other post. I don't think the ACTIVE KRKs are that much but I'm not sure.

If you do a short search on the net for KRKs, you'll find the asking prices quick.

Or, call the 800 numbers.

Or, for less than 300 you can get the passive KRK ST8s.

Green Hornet :cool: :D

I agree with notbradsohner; the wharfedale's are a great deal... I have a pair and am very happy with them.

Simman said:
I agree with notbradsohner; the wharfedale's are a great deal... I have a pair and am very happy with them.

hmmmm, i need to go see if I can give these a listen, they are bi amped and in my price range, that's a good combination

Diamond 8.2 actives sound good and translate well too, except for the lows you'll have to check on some bigger speakers or use a sub for hip hop type bass checking.

Teacher said:
Diamond 8.2 actives sound good and translate well too, except for the lows you'll have to check on some bigger speakers or use a sub for hip hop type bass checking.

It's just going to be for recording my bands projects. Which is rock (Beatles-Velvet Revolver) and a side project which is acoustic rock/pop.

Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate all of your insight

I have to 2nd the M-Audio BX5s. I just picked some up this week. I am definetly impressed. If you can spare a couple hundred more I would go with the KRK v4's. They are phenomonal. I previously had the "pregnant" shaped JBL's 10". These are far better clarity wise.

dvon1981 said:
have you used these personally? can you offer some reasons why? no one has suggested these yet so i'm just a bit curious

First of all, these have the best highs of any of the budget monitors out there, which will be important for rock. Another thing that blows me away is the stereo imaging, it gives a great picture of where everything is panned. The bass is weak, but you should be able to adjust after 2 0r 3 mixing sessions. PM a user MASSIVEMASTER and he will talk to you about them. He is a professional mastering engineer, and knows quite a bit. If you decide to buy them, PM a member named DEEPWATER , he can get you a good deal, he is a registered dealer.

for more info on these, read this thread

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=123752
a whole discussion about them

notbradsohner said:
First of all, these have the best highs of any of the budget monitors out there, which will be important for rock. Another thing that blows me away is the stereo imaging, it gives a great picture of where everything is panned. The bass is weak, but you should be able to adjust after 2 0r 3 mixing sessions. PM a user MASSIVEMASTER and he will talk to you about them. He is a professional mastering engineer, and knows quite a bit. If you decide to buy them, PM a member named DEEPWATER , he can get you a good deal, he is a registered dealer.

for more info on these, read this thread

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=123752
a whole discussion about them

thanks alot...this board is amazing by the way. never expected this much help

Thanks for everyone's help. If all goes as planned Santa should be dropping off a new pair of wharfedale diamond pro 8.2's

Back