Recoding from bass guitar to computer...???

BigLex

To record from bass guitar to computer, do you need a preamp? Or can I just plug my bass directly into my computer line-in and play?

I'm still using the sound card that came with my PC- a soundmax digital audio... its suited me fine to this point, for recording samples from wax, recording beats from my keyboard.. I was planning on getting something with lots of ins and outs at some point in time when I need it.

There are some cards that have built in pre's... I've heard of the Inca 88, costs around $200 i think and it has some pre's built in, not sure if theyre for bass tho.

How much does something like the 2 you listed cost?

Oversize Lex...
There's several way to record your Bass into PC. Plug direct to soundcard is one of them, but trust me, once you hear the result, you're gonna think twice to do it that way again. simply it's so low & bad.
In order to get proper recorded bass, at least you absolutely need preamp. Plug the bass to it, and route the out to soundcard. That way you'll get BETTER sound. crosstudio's hint worth to try, the tech21 sansamp or the countryman will do just fine.
:cool: ;) :cool:

Lex... you beat me by minutes... :D
Preamps that comes with sound card tend to be Mic's preamp, not bass/guitar preamp, and Inca 88 has dual Mic's preamp. However it has 8 in's/8 out's. Terratec EWS88MT gives you more for $599. :eek: I'll take Delta 66 (dunno the prices now). And yess, you still need Bass preamps. :)

James & cross... thanks for the replies....

James- do you know how much more you get in the EWS88MT for $600 than the Inca 88 for $200? The Delta 66 retails for $400 (not sure if it sells for less than that)- why would you take that over something like the Inca?

I dont have much knowledge on computer recording.. but I just got an ASR-10 with 8 outs, and plan on using my computer for recording vocals as well.. so I may be needing as many ins as possible.

Inca88 :
16bit/44.1kHz
8 ins 8 outs (2 Preamps)
dual headphones,
s/pdif digital output..

Terratec's ews88mt :
24bit/96kHz recording and playback.
8 ins 8 outs each +4/-10dB
s/pdif digital output
MIDI in/out
Many more...

Delte is simple, generaly used, had a lot good review, 6ins/6outs, 24/96, had a buss, and insert compressor, 2 monitors/headphone... many more. It's only bassed on what I need, I'd prefer Delta 66.

:cool:

Thanks to all who've responded.... does a bass amp combo w/ speaker function as a preamp as well? I think I recall seeing an output jack on some bass amps, which I also need. If so, what features/controls (EQ, etc) should I look for in an amp to be able to optimize recording potential?

Back