Recital recording and microphones

discordJF

I record a lot of live recitals (jazz and classical), and I usually use 2 SM57's for room mics. I know these aren't a very good choice in recording this kind of situation. The problem I get with these is that since I use the 57's as room mics and the inputs have to be turned way up to get a good signal, I get a lot of hissing on my recordings. Can anyone recommend any good room mics for this kind of situation in the $400-500 price range? I just want to get a good, well rounded sound and a signal that won't hiss or buzz. Thanks.

I would guess maybe you are using too much gain, but thats about the only way with the 57's....Id say condensors woulod be the way to go, but Ive neveral done this type of recording to recommend anything...Im sure someone will come along.....someone?.....anyone?....

What are you using these recording for???

Going to sell em?? or just to listen to see how they did???

Sabith

This past december I recorded a jam for the Fender Discussion Page's Virginia memebers in Richmond using two SM-57s (all I had) going into a DBX 266XL compressor and then into a Yamaha MD8 and got very good results considering it was about a 45'W x 60'L room at a Moose Lodge. Not knowing where to place the mics, I put them in the back of the room high as possible on booms near my recording setup. The band was extremely loud which I think helped the mic's ability pick up a good signal. I think the compressor took out any hiss that might have been present. I've only been homerecording since August 2000, so I' still learning the equipment and procedures.

I usually get paid to record these things at my college for the students' recitals. It seems like there is a pretty big demand for recital records so I want to get a better sound before I start advertising at other school around my area.

Maybe a pair of Octava 012s would be in your price range. I'm not going to get into the "Sound Room vs. Guitar Center thing. They're good mics. Out of mics I personally own (the Octavas among them) I'd probably reach for a pair of AT-4033s but they're about $150 out of the price range you quoted. Just MHO. An out board mic pre would kick it up a notch in terms of quality as well.

http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT825.html

The audio technica 825...... itz a stereo mic(2 diaphrams placed closely together pointing different directions)that comes with a special cable so U have complete control over both sides of the mic. So, U point it at the middle of the group your recording and U have a nicely set up stereo field already =)

Itz a nice sounding mice for live work, I don't own one myself, but for the price range it sounds quite nice, tends to be fairly bright sounding though. The Oktava's would be nice as well...... could use them for other recordings than recitals too.......

Sabith

Back