Reccommend a snare under $450

breeeeza

Senior MemBREH
ATM im using the stock yamaha stage custom snare (wood one) but i would rather get a snare with more crack and possibly slightly higher pitched.
I would love to get the same sound as 'time bomb' "from this band:
http://www.myspace.com/aperfectmurder

I havnt had time to go to a music store yet and have only looked at a few of the mapex black panthers on the internet. I.e.
http://www.drumwright.co.uk/pages/department_sublist.asp?F_SubCategoryID=686
all of those up to/including the deep forest walnut one.

If anyone has any suggestions then please tell me. Cheers

Well that snare's pretty heavily processed, but I've got two custom made snares...

PB080149.jpg

Snare2.jpg

You can get these kinds of snares for probably $300 or so. One's 13x7, the other's 14x7.

I'd recommend something with at least 10 plies, maybe even up to 20 plies. Sharper bearing edges, I like flanged hoops although die cast can give a better rimshot.

There are plenty of sweet snare drums you could get under $450.

If you want crack, you might think about a 13" snare. Piccolo snares (4" depth or less) are good for high-pitched sounds.

I would just go to a drum shop and play around, see what strikes your fancy.

dkerwood said:
Quite honestly, if you go to your local drum shop, you'll probably have a hard time finding a snare OVER $450.

yeah, really. i wish i had that kind of budget for one damn drum.
i picked up a 14" pearl masters mmx piccolo snare used for $250 at a drum shop, and it has all the crack and high tone you could possibly want. for $450 you can get a brand new one! slap an evans ST dry vented head on it and you're in attack heaven!

dude i went to my local music store and they have this dw snare for like 950.00 but omg its the best snare i have ever heard in my life!!

My drummer was trying to tell me a maypex black panther was beter and said they costed like 2000.00 i was like ok i hope for 2000.00 it sounds beter but there only like 300.oo bucks i looked them up and got to dog him about his stupidity!!!!!!

Its hard to match snares with ones other drummers use on recorded music, because a snare sound depends on a lot of things. heads, tuning, how it was recorded, what was done to the sound after it was recorded, etc.

But i suggest going to different music stores and listening to what they have and compare prices and so what until you find what you like. I would only suggest going for a custom snare if there is some exact thing you want in a snare that you cant find anywhere else.

do you know if you want a metal or wood snare?

Best drums I ever heard in my life were on the System of a Down track called, uh........shoot. I can't remember. But it sounded so good.

I'd like to get a set of drums, but I am NOT going to spend the money and time to learn something new at this point. I suck badly enough at guitar and vocals after 23 years of playing.

KaveKong said:
Best drums I ever heard in my life were on the System of a Down track called, uh........shoot. I can't remember. But it sounded so good.

This is helpful. ;)

'bout as helpful as this post... :eek:

this thread can die. i bought a Pearl phosphor bronze sensitone elite snare. 14" x 5" Its a cracker!

WOW...$450 is what I paid for my whole kit, Includeing Cymbols and a DW Double Kik pedal....How nice it must be to have expensive tastes and be able to afford it.....

Good luck with the Pearl....

Cheers

Blue Groove said:
DW 5"x13" or Pearl 5"x13" Omar Hakim (I love and own both)
+1 on the Hakim. I don't have one, but i really, really, really want one. beautiful warm sounding crack and a *very* responsive snare. if i played drums regularly anymore, i'd have one.

KaveKong said:
Best drums I ever heard in my life were on the System of a Down track
I would bet dollars to donuts that those drums were sampled/triggered replacements (or at minimum reinforcements)......no matter what the track was.

that's one of the problems with modern (1990-on) rock.....most of the drums have been sample replaced (or reinforced). That pretty much makes the "joe drummer used _x_ snare on _y_ album" statements just about useless. unfortunately.

who cares what drums were used when they're replaced?

cheers,
wade

Back