Reaper's Guiltware?

I was just wondering as I'm getting very interested in Reaper - what actually happens after the trial evaluation period? Does it shut down, cut functionality or just nag you to death?

I've decided to try it because I've read so many good things about it.

If I like it, then I'm happy to cough up the modest price but I am getting ready to clean out (literally - with a blowgun) my computer, reformat the system drive and replace the power supply. I didn't want to use up my free time with Reaper, until I've got the system all tidied up to make a fresh start - but I can hardly wait... I just want to see in action right now.

Anything else by way of recommendations for Reaper and why you like it, would also be kindly appreciated.

Please tell me how you get on with it and why I might love it.

Cheers

Dr. V

It's very flexible Dr. V in the respect that you don't have to reform and bend to it's will. You can set it up anyway you want unlike protools ect..

You will get a I believe 5 second nag screen at the very beginning of the start up and that's it, till you pay for it but it is a full version and stays that way.

:cool:

yup. It just makes you wait five seconds before giving you access to everything...

Not much of a big deal since it's free.

That's very generous, I must say. I hope not too many people take advantage of their hard work. I don't like to use it without paying, certainly when it's a small company (I'm in the same boat with my own business) but it may be more than 30 days before I'll have the funds to buy any more stuff for my 'studio'.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

One other thing... Does anyone know of any conflicts which may occur through having more than one DAW installed? I don't intend to be using them at the same time but if I like Reaper, then I'll probably want to phase the other out slowly, while I'm learning to use Reaper.

Dr. V

Just buy it. It's what, 50 bucks? You wont find a DAW that cheap, that does that much, and they update it CONSTANTLY. If you go to the Reaper forum and ask for a specific tweak, they'll add it to their next update if it makes sense. They're very accessible, it's very user friendly, and I can assure you that you will come nowhere near using it to it's full potential. Reaper is fucking awesome. I have yet to find anyone give up on Reaper.

One other thing... Does anyone know of any conflicts which may occur through having more than one DAW installed? I don't intend to be using them at the same time but if I like Reaper, then I'll probably want to phase the other out slowly, while I'm learning to use Reaper.

Dr. V

I have Cubase, Cakewalk, and Reaper all on this machine.

I haven't opened Cubase or Cakewalk in well over 2 years. Hell, it's been 3 years by now. I need to uninstall that shit.

That's very generous, I must say. I hope not too many people take advantage of their hard work. I don't like to use it without paying, certainly when it's a small company (I'm in the same boat with my own business) but it may be more than 30 days before I'll have the funds to buy any more stuff for my 'studio'.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Dr. V

I don't believe so Dr. V I think many people have a few different DAWs on their computers.
And the trail period is just for that reason to either see if you'll like to keep on using it or phase out something else. :D
BTW what is your business?

I don't believe so Dr. V I think many people have a few different DAWs on their computers.
And the trail period is just for that reason to either see if you'll like to keep on using it or phase out something else. :D
BTW what is your business?

Thank you, yes that all makes sense. I've been stalling on gutting the machine and cleaning it up.

I'm a trained bronze founder by trade but when I fell out of work, I went into sculpting and mould making for props, FX make up and the plastics' trade in general. I've been running open educational movie make up demo workshops, which include the history of make up in films.

monsterlabwgw07070.jpg

dscf0003sm.jpg

p7070007.jpg

We made a good start in 2007 but now we're in the process of taking our business to the next level as educational facilitators. So, right now, every penny counts while we're setting up a permanent make up studio.

The music is just a hobby to keep me sane, but I'm thinking I might compose some creepy music to play in the background during our "Monster Labs". :D

Dr. V

Thank you, yes that all makes sense. I've been stalling on gutting the machine and cleaning it up.

I'm a trained bronze founder by trade but when I fell out of work, I went into sculpting and mould making for props, FX make up and the plastics' trade in general. I've been running open educational movie make up demo workshops, which include the history of make up in films.

monsterlabwgw07070.jpg

dscf0003sm.jpg

p7070007.jpg

We made a good start in 2007 but now we're in the process of taking our business to the next level as educational facilitators. So, right now, every penny counts while we're setting up a permanent make up studio.

The music is just a hobby to keep me sane, but I'm thinking I might compose some creepy music to play in the background during our "Monster Labs". :D

Dr. V

VERY,VERY COOL I must say Dr. V

I just figure life is short and after working in factory hell, there comes a point where you have to follow your dream.

Dr. V

That's very generous, I must say. I hope not too many people take advantage of their hard work.

Honestly, the fact they let you evaluate a fully-functioning copy more or less indefinitely, and then offered a full-featured $60 non-commercial license as an alternative to the $225 license for people using it professionally, without somehow crippling the software on the cheaper license, made me MORE inclined to pay for it. It's just a refreshingly down to earth business model.

Dr. V

It depends. But what it mostly depends on (except for some legacy product, some strictly consumer offerings and perhaps one or two ill-mannered apps) is drivers for A/D/A audio.

As far as simply installing and using one app at a time you should not experience any difficulty. As people have started to testify it is fairly common, if not quite universal, for people to use more then a single audio music making app. The vast majority cohabitate politely.

The difficulty arises when multiple apps attempt to share audio resources. ASIO is particularly finicky about multi-client situations. And the specifics of how to set this up tend to be system specific. And flexibility in this area is seldom something one discovers from reading specs or even calling cust. serv.

On the other hand in the project studio it is fairly common for me to have Reaper and Audition running simultaneously, with ability to merely toggle ([alt]+[tab]) between them with no loss of function for either.

Mileage will vary depending on specific hardware and applications, that is on system specifics

I'd pay if I found myself using it.
Did it for "All That Chords" which I maybe use about once a year.
There are others which ask you to pay if you are using it for profit.
Interesting way to do business and I know that there are many who refer to Reaper as "Free". I just hope that there are enough who don't mind paying for what they get.

I've had it just a couple of hours and agree, it's a great piece of software. I'd say it rivals Cubase. The only thing I can't get it to do is run my FL Studio plug ins for some reason. They seem to load up but they cause muting on the track.

I'm still very much in love with FL studio for it's ease of workflow but I can see myself going over to Reaper. Definitely for music, at any rate, though I must finish the audio book using FL or I'll have to re-do what I've already done.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but the voices sound clearer (less BG noise) in Reaper... Is it possible for one DAW to actually sound better than another? I wouldn't have thought so. It also coincides with me tearing my set up apart and rewiring everything neatly and seperating signal cables from power lines....?

Also, I read somewhere there is as yet no wave editing facility but it is possible to record, like you would in Ableton, yes? FL Studio's 'Edison' recorder is simply an amazing piece of software. I'm wondering if & how I could import it into Reaper as a VST - or would I access it via 'Rewire'?

Dr. V

Last edited:
Also, the Reaper page states there is as yet no audio wave editing facility but is it possible to actually record audio at all using Reaper?

Reaper is an audio recording program.

Though Reaper doesn't have a wave editor (like wavelab or soundforge, etc), you can do pretty much what you like within Reaper by zooming in to the section of wave you want to tinker with.

going over to Reaper. Definitely for music, at any rate, though I must finish the audio book using FL or I'll have to re-do what I've already done.

Is it possible for one DAW to actually sound better than another? I wouldn't have thought so.

Also, I read somewhere there is as yet no wave editing facility but it is possible to record,

Dr. V

last2first. 'Editing' & editor, loosely refers to 'destructive' editing. Processes by which the data of the wavefile is altered. In Reaper you tend to effect 'real time' processes on the audio as opposed to the data (in a manner of speaking). When you apply a reverb algorithm you change the way the audio is present via playback but have not altered the waveform data at all. It remains intact.

As computers have become more powerful, and applications mature & bloat, the lines between specific types of audio processing software blue. When Reaper first appeared I used it almost exclusively to record. As it matured I gradually began to mix some projects with it. While Audition remains my 'editor' of choice. Different software has strengths in different areas. Audition, still one of the most powerful editors on the market has gradually improved with regard to multitrack recording and mixing but even now that is not its first love.

It is always possible that one software application might sound better then another. I know little or nothing of FL's strengths or limitations so I can't really speak to it. But of the ones with which I do have experience, Cakewalk/Sonar, Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude, Audition, PT, Vegas/Acid; while they might exhibit some individual quirks (sometimes based on legacy code) with regard to how audio is presented, e.g. how so called pan 'law' is articulated; automatically reducing a mixed/summed audio file by a fixed dB, etc; as far as simply the raw sound of a single recorded track there is little or nothing to distinguish among software choices.

Now once you begin to apply 'processes', Dynamics, EQ, time based, then all bets are off as to whether something sounds subjectively better then something else.

When Acid was first introduced for it do what it claimed, with regard to 'loops' the audio 'data' contained in those loops had to be truncated. The audio differences between an Acidized loop and the audio file of which it was based was detectable. Back in the bad old days, mid 90's PT v3 (or so) my opinion was that, somehow, digidesign got the math, for summing files, wrong. (which in turn led to the spate analog summing boxes that continues today)

So decisions, whether mistakes or not, can influence how audio is presented . . . but as I said in the current market among prosumer competing product there is little or nothing to distinguish the 'sound' of one software recording app from another

my guess is if you actually learn to use Reaper effectively that it will be a far more efficient tool for Audio plays/books, based on some of the issues you faced, documented in other posts. the ability of an individual to modify the UI is a huge tool, in regard to work flow. The support community and developers are remarkably responsive to things that are actually issues (with how the software functions). That in turn encourages (unconsciously perhaps) individuals to question a lot of things about how they do what they do, in ways that are very difficult with software that requires to bend to its UI.

I started using Reaper because it was a cheap & stable way for me to use a laptop to record live shows. I had invested considerable time learning how to manipulate a handful of software apps, didn't need another cluttering things . . . but task by task Reaper continues to insert itself into workflow. it is not now, nor do I expect it to ever be the only app I need, not even in conjunction with an editor like Audition, but in four, now nearly five years I've gone from not advertising it's presence in the studio to prominently displaying it. (interestingly, to me anyway, when I started using it, almost exclusively for live show recording I viewed it as a secret weapon not a marketing tool . . . now I'm not sure that I would not be willing to go head to head with it against PT . . . in attempt to deflate the whole concept of 'industry standards' as anything but marketing hype!)

Thank you for the detailed reply, Ortez. Very informative.

The difference I seem to notice is that when I imported the raw samples into FL Studio, they instantly needed a lot of extra (non-destructive) processing - effects, as you say, which affect the playback only.

Yet with Reaper, it seemed as though I had less work to do, (less VST FX needed) in order to improve their sound.

Now I know that sounds weird, because I know what you're saying here - I've always believed applications to be no different, until a choice of native or 3rd party VSTs are applied.

I'll just have to listen more critically, to see if I am mistaken but at any rate, I am very impressed with Reaper so far.

I would like, however, to be able to import some of the VSTs which shipped with FL Studio into Reaper. I'm sure it's possible and that there's some process of file management I have overlooked. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with 32/64 bit differences? The version of Reaper I'm running is 32bit though.

When I mention 'wave editing' I refer mainly to the manual editing of small samples, such as chopping, splicing and normalising the waveform before saving them as individual .wav files. Something I tended to do more of when I first started and find myself doing less, these days.

Cheers

Dr. V

Last edited:
Back