Reaper won't record MIDI notes played on the VST (only on controller)

YanKleber

Retired
Hi!

While I have some experience using reaper to record direct WAV I am totally noob using it with MIDI.

I started by right-clicking the tracks bay and choosing "Insert virtual instrument on new track". My problem is that it produces sound and excites the VUs either when I use the mouse to click onto the virtual keyboards of the VSTs as well when I play my physical MIDI controller, however it only records MIDI notes when I play the controller.

I tried with different VSTs and the behavior is the same (MIDI recording only from the physical controller). I tried to unplug the controller from the computer but it didn't change anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

The VST is normally placed after the sequencer part of Reaper so this is normal behaviour. If you want to control and record the VST on screen then you may be able to use Reaper's built-in keyboard but you can't use the keyboard on the VST.

The VST is normally placed after the sequencer part of Reaper so this is normal behaviour. If you want to control and record the VST on screen then you may be able to use Reaper's built-in keyboard but you can't use the keyboard on the VST.
I want to use the MT Power Drumkit. But if I cannot use the VST keyboard am I correct to suppose that I won't be able to use it's internal sequencer either?

IF the plugin actually sends out MIDI when you click its keys or play its sequencer, THEN you could right-click the track’s record arm button and find the option to record output (midi). I don’t know that plugin so can’t tell you if it actually has midi output.

Why would you even want to use the on screen keyboard? You can’t even do things like a metronome click as there is only one velocity? Ok for a few styles but even the EDM folk need more than one snare volume?

Never mind, I am a complete idiot.

My need was to use the groves which comes with the drumkit. So my "idea" was arm the track for recording and play the grooves in the VST while Reaper captured the notes. The genius here didn't realize that being the groves actually MIDI chunks and being they disposed in a list, it was just a matter of drag them from the VST directly into the track. 😖

idiot.jpg

Thanks all and sorry for wasting your valuable time with this silly thread.

😕

Attachments

• idiot.jpg
    idiot.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 1
Not silly at all. The keyboards in the vsti are just for auditioning reall, and said above, come after the recording system in the DAW - I use cubase and mine do the same thing - make a noise but not get recorded. Just get a cheap MIDi keyboard, even cheap and nasty kids ones will work.

Oh, yea. You do this for say like Easy Drummer (it is this way in most DAWs). You take the groove drag it to the MIDI track where the VST is located and sequence it on that track. On Easy Drummer for example they have, BPM, time siganture and then, Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, then variations of those. One just drags them to the MIDI track and arrange. I will for example add a fill right before a break to give me a cue that I am wanting to change. Nice when you can't see the screen, like doing acoustic guitar mic recording.

Back