REAPER help/advice needed please

janthemetal

Hello people of the recording world, I'm new here, so please don't be to harsh if the answer is obvious/I am being REALLY stupid...

My problem is as follows:
I have my recording gear set up (listed below) and, when recording a track (eg an SM57 on a guitar cab), it appears happily in REAPER, but there is just a flat line in place of the waveform I have seen in every picture/example of a DAW I've ever seen.
I'm wondering if this is normal for REAPER (REAPERs website shows pictures with waveforms in...) and what can I do to get (assuming it is not normal) my waveforms?

My setup is as follows (using the SM57 example):
SM57 5-6 cm from the cab grill cloth, going into a Mackie Onyx 820i and from there, via the firewire connection, to my PC, and DAW. Audio drivers are ASIO and my desired inputs are selected.

'Recording monitoring' is selected and the output levels are fine. On my on-screen channels too, the meters move and i can get them to peak, if necessary, so there's no issue there...

Please, unleash your wealth of knowledge upon me...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I am not sure whether you are successfully recording a track, but it appears just as a straight line, or whether it appears to record, but you don't get anything except the flat line. What happens when you play back? Do you get something? Or nothing?

However, my guess is that you are not actually recording anything. If everything else seems to be ok, then the most likely reason is that the wrong input is selected. When you arm the track for recording, click on the input box and select another input. Or try the mike plugged into a different input.

Back