reaper and interface question

azfz

hi. newb to reaper and how to set up interface to work properly. i have a mackie blackbird 8 preeamp interface and reaper. mackie comes with a software mixer. my problem is i cant pan in reaper. i, for example can insert a track in reaper, test with a mic inserted in input one on interface with recording input also one in reaper. i get vu's. it will record. but when i pan the track it does nothing. i can pan 100%left and render, but only mono is rendered. what am i doing wrong? what do i have set wrong? i can monitor what the interface is doing and pan from the mackie mixer utility and it pans fine. i have even tried panning the mixer utility input one and reaper track the same and no change. stereo is enabled on master in reaper. thanks for any help.

What do you mean nothing happens when you pan ? Is a mono track that is hard panned only coming out one speaker ?

when i pan to the left or right you still get full sound. when you leave the middle position you hear maybe a very slight difference but thats it. as i said also when you render to wav with the track panned it renders in mono. nothing happens when you pan.

he rendered track is in mono comming out of both speakers. the same as when i playback the track in reaper and pan. mono both speakers.

Unless I'm mis-undertanding what you're saying, doesn't sound like anything's wrong.

When you render a mono track, it will render as.....a MONO TRACK. It doesn't matter where you panned it, it's a mono track. Of course it will come out equally out of both speakers....that's what mono is.

You have to select STEREO when rendering if you don't want a mono track.

thanks for the reply rami. maybe i am not as clear as i could be. here is what i want to do. i want to mic a drum kit with 8 mics and record all tracks at one time, then go edit ie pan, add efects etc... i can record all tracks fine but if i pan any track for instance hard left, i would think the right side would go silent. but i still get sound from both sides. i have seen many people and tutorials record just like i am saying. i cant understand what i am doing wrong. any ideas?

thanks for the reply rami. maybe i am not as clear as i could be. here is what i want to do. i want to mic a drum kit with 8 mics and record all tracks at one time, then go edit ie pan, add efects etc... i can record all tracks fine but if i pan any track for instance hard left, i would think the right side would go silent. but i still get sound from both sides. i have seen many people and tutorials record just like i am saying. i cant understand what i am doing wrong. any ideas?

Then how does rendering come into it ?

Can you take a screen shot of your Blackbird mixer settings ? Also what is happening in your audio interface dropdown in Reapers preferences ?

Back