Reaper and Addictive drums - delay.

Hi everyone,

Normally I just record any drum parts on my electric drumkit but due to the lack of variation decided to give AD a go.

I decided today to just add some percussion to a song I've almost completed, was just going to tap the required cymbal using the AD popup when selected while the song is playing.

So not using midi controller at all just mouse and click on the part I need.

But I noticed when i click anything on AD the sound comes out with a slight delay which makes playing along and recording impossible.

When I'm recording I use my Focusrite Scarlett solo, but when just listening and mixing I'll switch to Direct sound and I'm guessing it then just uses my PC sound card... there is no delay issues at this point as the track is already synced so everything sounds in time.

Any tips on how I can get AD to play instantly to allow me to play along and add in parts ?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Normally I just record any drum parts on my electric drumkit but due to the lack of variation decided to give AD a go.

I decided today to just add some percussion to a song I've almost completed, was just going to tap the required cymbal using the AD popup when selected while the song is playing.

But I noticed when i click anything on AD the sound comes out with a slight delay which makes playing along and recording impossible.

When I'm recording I use my Focusrite Scarlett solo, but when just listening and mixing I'll switch to Direct sound and I'm guessing it then just uses my PC sound card... there is no delay issues at this point as the track is already synced so everything sounds in time.

Any tips on how I can get AD to play instantly to allow me to play along and add in parts ?

Thanks.
I'm a tad confused here. Perhaps you could clarify. Are you suggesting that your mouse introduces latency when using Additive Drums but your midi controller does not?
Or, in the alternative are you saying your computer rig in general has latency?

Hi sorry for the late reply.

No the mouse isn't introducing latency, was just mentioning that I planned on using my mouse to click the drums required rather than hooking my electronic kit up to play.

There is just delay when hitting any of the kit.

I use the focusrite when recording parts but switch to using my soundcard when tweaking things as I can use my wireless headset.

When you use the mouse and click a drum, do you also get a delayed signal at the fader meter in your DAW, or does the meter register instantly when clicked and you hear it delayed?

Hi sorry for the late reply.

No the mouse isn't introducing latency, was just mentioning that I planned on using my mouse to click the drums required rather than hooking my electronic kit up to play.

There is just delay when hitting any of the kit.

I use the focusrite when recording parts but switch to using my soundcard when tweaking things as I can use my wireless headset.
Then, if I understand correctly, you're incurring latency. Pretty fundamental issue if so. Many factors cause latency. Computer, RAM, Hard Drive Speed (if the library is on external drives), buffer size, RAM allocation within the plug-in, drivers for soundcard, and drivers for your interface. All or any of the above could contribute. If I were you, I would read up on latency cures. Information is abundant.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Your sample rates are probably not aligned - put them both at the same -- 44.1k or 48k or what ever you have your main DAW at.

Your sample rates are probably not aligned - put them both at the same -- 44.1k or 48k or what ever you have your main DAW at.
Presumably, the plug-in is in an existing DAW session. I don't know how you could mismatch sample rates within a session. The plug-in would run at whatever sample rate of the session itself. One, however, could have a sample rate mismatch with an external device, but the ensuing problems wouldn't have anything to do with latency. Pops and clicks and even pitch problems, yes, but not latency.

I think the issue is using the computer sound card for the output. If I choose the direct sound on my computer in place of my ASIO driver, the latency in Reaper jumps from about 10ms to 200ms. That's fine for playback and mixing, but if you are trying to record the drum track while it's playing it could be playing havoc with the timing.

Presumably, the plug-in is in an existing DAW session. I don't know how you could mismatch sample rates within a session. The plug-in would run at whatever sample rate of the session itself. One, however, could have a sample rate mismatch with an external device, but the ensuing problems wouldn't have anything to do with latency. Pops and clicks and even pitch problems, yes, but not latency.
You can set Addictive Drums at a different rate than the DAW -

I think the issue is using the computer sound card for the output. If I choose the direct sound on my computer in place of my ASIO driver, the latency in Reaper jumps from about 10ms to 200ms. That's fine for playback and mixing, but if you are trying to record the drum track while it's playing it could be playing havoc with the timing.
I think this may be the issue then, I shall just get myself a better set of cans for using my Focusrite the only reason I was using the direct sound was because of the wifi headset which is better all round and also more convenient than wired.

Thanks everyone for input, will let you all know once I'm set up.

I think this may be the issue then, I shall just get myself a better set of cans for using my Focusrite the only reason I was using the direct sound was because of the wifi headset which is better all round and also more convenient than wired.

Thanks everyone for input, will let you all know once I'm set up.
Are these bluetooth wireless headphones or is there a transmitter that plugs into your computer? If the latter you can just plug it into the headphone output of the interface.

If they are bluetooth, note that there is latency in them.

I didn't even think about the bluetooth aspect. That can lead to even more latency, sort of the worst of all worlds!

Are these bluetooth wireless headphones or is there a transmitter that plugs into your computer? If the latter you can just plug it into the headphone output of the interface.

If they are bluetooth, note that there is latency in them.
They are Jabra evolve headphones that use a dongle that I plug into my PC USB.

I only see an output for wired headsets on my Scarlett solo.

Just gonna invest in decent wired headset.

Cheers.

Back