reamping

Newbie dude

Okay, So If I get this right, reamping is when you record a guitar part through one amp, and then you take that recording and play it through another amp, and record that?

Why in the world would you do this? Wha type of sound will this give you? In what genre will you use thhis? In what situation will you use this?

Cause, i mean, it sounds to me like it would just take up alot of time and do nothing for you.

Actually, it's when you record a guitar part direct and then sent an output from the interface to a guitar amp and record that.

It is used A LOT. I use it myself. I have a Little Labs RedEye just for it.

It is used when you want a different guitar sound than what you got but still keep the actual performance.

for example, say you don't have a kick ass amp at home...but you plan on going to a studio that does have one. You can record the direct clean signal into your computer and take that file to the studio where you just reamp it.

Some have even used this to "reamp" drums to an amp for a grungy sound. Though most just feed the drums into another room for a different reverb sound.

cant see drums sounding nice coming from a 2203. I don't doubt people do it though, but they also buy behringer stuff.

its also good to reamp most of the sampling music(in the box instuments) ,to give them some life.

you could do it to get different tones out of the same performance. (different distortion setting, plugin EQ, completely different amp...)
you can record in the quiet and reamp when you aren't bothering family/neighbors
you can take it to a nicer studio, different mic, different mic position.

there's so many factors you can change, without your hands tiring

I've recorded direct with a free amp sim and then played it back through the speakers and re-recorded it. :p Always have the performance on disk and can tweak the effects and re-mic if it you want. Makes it sound MUCH more realistic. But would have sounded even more like an amp being re-recorded through an actual amp. ;)

I used to not have the luxury of isolating guitar or bass cabs durring tracking, since all the musicians and the recording gear were in the same room. I would run the bass and the guitar direct and use PODS to get a decent sound back through the headphones but would record the direct signal as well. This was while the drummer was actually going to tape. About 90% of the time, my bass performance would be good enough that I'd want to keep it and it worked out that in that band about 50% of the guitar tracks were keepers.

Once the drums were out, we'd set up my bass cab and reamp all the parts; then without changing the setup at all, I'd punch in where I wanted to clean stuff up. Same with guitar.

It was a sort of free-form fussion type band so capturing the live energy was pretty important.

It also let me try different amp tones while my prerecorded tracks were playing... much easier than trying to play and adjust things at the same time.

Back