Reamping with axe-fx. help

brownbearTLE

Hi everyone,
I posted a thread yesterday on how to get that "modern" metal tone. Basically i was taking the DI'd guitar track, running it through the output one of my presonus fp10 into the back of my axe fx, then into an xlr input on my interface

I couldn't get a good tone, but i believe reamping is my problem.

Now today i picked up my guitar and played the same patch through the same ir's in my daw. It was exactly the tone what i was looking for. but trying to reamp again it sounded terrible (hardly any drive, weak)

How should one go about doing this?

Gain staging is ensuring the interface levels/types are correct or match

A gtr DI box is a gain stage moving the gtr level to a mic level. The same when reamping going from whatever level you're output is to an amp input level.

That was obvious by your mention of axe-fx and reamping in the same sentence. Reamping implies the use of an actual amp and not an ass-fx.

And there you have it. Re amping is literally only this. Real amp or else, thus sayeth thy almighty re amping gods.

Noobs be warned. lol

Now today i picked up my guitar and played the same patch through the same ir's in my daw. It was exactly the tone what i was looking for. but trying to reamp again it sounded terrible (hardly any drive, weak)

So rather than just using the recording technique that yields the exact tone that you're looking for you choose to complicate things by attempting to reamp.

Re amping usually saves time so I don't get your logic.

Huh? How can it save time over recording the sound you have coming out of the amp. He said "It was exactly the tone what i was looking for."How can taking the extra step of re-amping save time??? He already had the sound he wanted.

Huh? How can it save time over recording the sound you have coming out of the amp. He said "It was exactly the tone what i was looking for."How can taking the extra step of re-amping save time??? He already had the sound he wanted.

If all the songs are already tracked with DIs (just the recorded tone is lacking), then why would you want to re track every single song? Reamping at that point is faster than re tracking. Plus if it's done right (the way he was doing it wasn't), there is no difference.

I was just asking for help on reamping not your opinions. and i didn't know if the axe-fx could handle low impedence or a high impedence on the rear input.
Thank you sonixx, i'll borrow a reamp box and see if it makes a difference

I was just asking for help on reamping not your opinions. and i didn't know if the axe-fx could handle low impedence or a high impedence on the rear input.
Thank you sonixx, i'll borrow a reamp box and see if it makes a difference
I would treat an axe-fx input that same as a gtr amp input.

FWIW, I have used a Little Labs redeye for years and it does double duty as a DI and reamp box.

I do not believe in re-amping and never will. Each real amplifier and amp sim in the Axe FX (highly sensitive to playing and guitars by the way - like the real thing) - requires different subtleties in feel when playing. Theres different palm-mute pressure requirements for the same part for different amps (or DSP amp engines), and totally different pre-input filtering processes that subtly varies in its requirements for each amp.

Don't be lazy, just record the part again. Because the dry signal in other words - is more optimally conditioned for some amps (or modeled amps) in one way, and in a different way for others - but more importantly - each amp reacts differently to how you feel it out.

Btw - I strongly believe that the Axe FX terminates all items in the electric guitar world. Even real amps apparently according to many people pawning their entire rigs including me selling some of mine on the list. Just like an Eventide destroys analog FX.

With the axe fx you can change the bias points of the virtual mods.

(Just my opinion, I am not stating this as fact - just a subjective musing.)

Last edited:
There might be some validity to loop-playback-ing to audition different tones, like picking color swatches. But I would only do it on a test recording. But then record it again with the selected swatch on the real recording. I cannot budge on my flexibility on this matter anymore than this.

Back