ReAmping.....What is it and How do you do it/What are it's practical uses?

frankthetank727

I have heard this term tossed around before and although I have done a fair amount of recording I have never been able to learn what ReAmping actually is/does. If someone could just give me a quick rundown on what it really entails and its practical uses, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Reamping is when you record an instrument direct and then feed the recorded track to an amplifier and record the result through a microphone. It means you don't have to commit to a particular amp sound during tracking but can put it off until later. Say you have someone coming to track a part and they have limited time. You don't have the amp you really want but can use something passable. You can record the instrument direct and re-record it through a better amp later. It's probably a good idea to record the amp used during tracking in addition to the direct line, just in case.

The benefits:

You can track your guitars in NY and hire someone in LA to record them.

You can change the sound of the amp later without hours of re tracking.

(only sometimes) it can be less noisy then when you plug in a guitar.

And it's always good to simultaneously track a guitar amp when taking a DI track (when we say DI we mean no effects amps or anything record your guitar completely dry) because the player needs the feedback of playing through an amp.

And it's always good to simultaneously track a guitar amp when taking a DI track (when we say DI we mean no effects amps or anything record your guitar completely dry) because the player needs the feedback of playing through an amp.

Having the live amp tone recorded is handy for punch ins. Otherwise you either have to have to have the reamping set up during tracking for his monitors or he has to punch to DI tone.

Back