Really cool studio headphones

Mr. Ins@ne

I need some good headphones for studio work (tracking, recording, accurate mixing at some particular stages of the recording process, monitoring, etc). I was thinking about the AKG 271 but they are sold out in Portugal at the moment, the 240 are available. So my question is, should I wait for the 271? Should I go for the 240? Should I buy something different even from other brands instead? Thanks mates.

Daniel

I can tell you what I have ... I use Sennheiser HD280 Pros, they seem great to me but I have none of the gear experience that John has, so I would recommend you do whatever he tells you to (but don't jump off any cliffs).

I don't really know, but I've only heard great words for K271s. I actually own a pair of K171s, which I am very satisfied with! Great sound and pretty good isolation for that kind of headphones... ;)

noisedude said:
I can tell you what I have ... I use Sennheiser HD280 Pros, they seem great to me but I have none of the gear experience that John has, so I would recommend you do whatever he tells you to (but don't jump off any cliffs).
There's nothing wrong with the HD280's either. I just use the Sony's because (A) Yeah, they're nice and (B) I've been using them since...?

So, I'd recommend getting whichever one you like the most, keeping in mind the application-specific features (closed back, open back, cable length & type, etc.).

Mr. I,

You should try to see if anyone in Portugal still has the AKG 270 left over. A truly massive, accurate headset. I also have a set of 271 (for a guest singer who was just here) and they don't have the bottom and room feel of the 270 model. The 270 has 2 drivers per ear cup, angled at 45 degrees so the sound meets at the ear.
The 271 has one driver per ear, and nowhere near the bass response. It is a nice set of cans, just don't listen to the 270es first...the best AKG ever did.

CC

:D Yo Mr. Manic Impressive:

All good items mentioned to you; however, the Beyer Cans are also "very nice." Models 250 or the 770 later edition are quality items.

Cost? Somewhere around 125 pezzutos per pair.

"In Spain they say, si` si` and in Portugal tabien....

I just dig old songs.

Cheers,
Green Hornet :eek: :o :p :D

Holy Shit!!! The "TY FORD" is posting here???

Welcome, Mr. Ford.... Don't let DJL or anyone else chase you off. Your experience is welcome here!! :D :D

Oh... I like the flatness of my Audio-Technica ATHfs40 I think it is... VERY neutral and VERY comfortable... Great isolation too..

Hi all! Thanks for all the help, I already did order the Sony 7506, they should arrive next week. In some time I may need more headphones so I'll see if I can try those models you talked about. As soon as the 7506 arrive and I try them for a while, I'll post my experience here. Thank you all.

Just for future reference,
The v6 is the same as the 7506 minus the gold plating.
Backed up by the Headphone people at headfi.

I use Sony 7506's mostly for one reason. They are the only ones I have found that will drive the levels in a fairly clean manner that so many of the loud bands I record want. When I want to hear something not cranked up, I like my AKG's. I think I currently have some 141's, 241's etc... pretty standard AKG headphones. Personally I think they sound a little better than the Sony's, but the they distort easier, cost more, and blow up quicker. After several reccomendations I tried the Audio Technica 40's. I hated them. To me, they sound very dull and bland, and got nowhere near the outout level I was told they would. However, many other people seem to really like them. Just not me I guess:P

The AT 40's strength is not their output level, but rather their handling of very loud INPUT levels without distortion.... making them excellent for things like drum tracking.

I wouldnt say that the Sennheiser HD280 Pros are good for recording, monitoring etc. as they have a bass boost that gives you a false sense of bass presence in the track or mix. Im sure the treble is over exadurated also. I suppose they might be usuable for tracking monitoring, but not for mixing i wouldnt say.

Thanks Blue Bear, I really don't know a whole lot about the AT headphones. I only know that when I tried them, they didn't meet my needs, nor did they sound very good to me. I am very comfortable with Sony 7506's ( I have used them at FOH for maybe 100 shows or so...), and have gotten very familiar with them. I think it would be hard for me to ever switch. In fact I am so used to them that I may even be a biased judge of other headphones.

ecktronic said:
I wouldnt say that the Sennheiser HD280 Pros are good for recording, monitoring etc. as they have a bass boost that gives you a false sense of bass presence in the track or mix. Im sure the treble is over exadurated also. I suppose they might be usuable for tracking monitoring, but not for mixing i wouldnt say.
I actually found my HD280s to be much thinner than my other headphones. Less hi-fi sound and more flat. I haven't compared against a tonne of expensive sets though. They're wicked for tracking, as are my in-ear Shure E2Cs which have virtually zero blead ... if you can cope with the hygiene aspect they've got amazing isolation.

Back