Really confused! What do I need?

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
Ok, here's what I have:
- audiophile 2496 soundcard
- monitoring: a pair of active monitors and a set of headphones
- preamps: V-amp 2 and audiobuddy

I really got confused trying to figure out what I need to hook all these things up together. Let's say I want to record some vocals with the audiobuddy after recording some direct guitar through the V-amp. Do I need to unplug the V-amp from the audiophile and hook up the audiobuddy? Basically I need some kind of device that allowes me to switch between two preamps. It should also allow me to switch between my monitors and my headphones.

The more research I did, here and at the musicshop, the more confused I got. What do I need to do all this?

A small mixer will allow you to hook up more than one device to your soundcard.

I would HIGHLY reccomend that you run out to the bookstore and get a copy of Computer Music magazines "Guitar Recording Special" (and extra edition that focuses on getting everything going). All is inside....

Thanks, but I forgot to mention I already knew that a small mixer could hook up more then one device to my soundcard but my confusion comes from the 'output'-side. Can I use that very mixer to hook up monitors and swith to headphones? In this case the signal chain would be for instance mic > audiobuddy > mixer > soundcard input > pc > soundcard output > mixer > monitors..
Is this possible or not?
Sorry for not being more clear to begin with..

Yes a small mixer will allow you to do all of this. The mixer you buy should have at least 2 outs to go to the input of your soundcard, another 2 inputs for the return of your soundcard, hook ups for your monitors with a volume control, and a headphone output.

Yamaha, Soundcraft or Behringer (yuk) as well as many others all make small mixers that will accomplish this for you..

Back