real VIOLIN solos - WorldFolk - Best one ?

studioviols

'Secrets'

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3196&alid=-1

This is two very short mixes of the same solo spot for violin, but two different solos, back to back, in the short, 192kbps quality MP3 mix.

Help me pick the best one, and give me some comments on tone, and mix, etc ...

I've coordinated this project since Amelia did this on four-track ... walked in a studio about 350 miles from here which I coordinated ... and finally got me some good mixes to work with.

I've modeled a MIDI string arrangement for the tune, and as I near the final steps to begin laying the real strings, real violin, viola and cello ... I want to have the violin solo somewhat secure before I do that.

It's 192kpbs, and it's a short DL.

Tell me what you think please of these two different solos for the song.

Hi there,

Number one -

- I like the major tonality at the start
- Shift to 'dark' back to 'light' @ 0:40 - 0:45 is nice

Number two -

- Lo into hi didn't do it for me @ 1:35

To my ear I think I like the first one better. From the snippet of the song it seems like it sings and lifts it better. I like the simplicity of the line. So said, it is hard to say what fits better with the entire song without knowing what precedes it.

Mix wise it sounded a little mangled by MP3 x 2 - everything sounded like it was sitting in it's right place. I was once again reminded how pitiful my MIDI programming skills are compared with the real thing..... :D

Gazing into the crystal ball of the final mix - just watch out for the cello and lower strings crunching into the finger picked gtr and vox. Sounds OK in this mix, but it is far from final post quality and hard to judge.

Sounds like an interesting song - as I write this I have a string section from a Blind Faith song running around in the back of my head which the first line from the first solo has hit me into. Can't remember the song - it's the album with Can't Find My Way Home on it.... may even be that song. Either way, what I am trying to say is that it sounds good, authentic and in it's place.

Don't be a stranger with the final product, O Productive One....

:D Q.

Qwerty :
-----------
Thanks for the excellent feedback and close listening !

I've a mind to re-track this by by monitoring the click track this time, I did not monitor the click this last time.

As others on other boards have pointed out, the solo is not very metric, it's quite free.

The flatpicked guitar is setting down quite a rythmic pulse, and that must be respected to a greater degree here.

I think all said and done, there are a few to many notes in the 'clusters' ... it's as if I'm making fills, on my own slow melodic line ... to much in the brainpan and heart coming out here.

Thanks again.

To my ears,the second one sounds better. It seems to make it's presence and then blend back into the song easily, trying not to intrude. It made me feel like there were less notes played, and usually less is more I think. Just my opinion.....meloncholy makes me sad.

There were things I liked about the 2nd, but as mentioned above, the lo to hi didn't do it for me. Overall, I liked the first one better. Nice work

Please post the entire song somewhere!

It would make this question a lot easier to answer.

Thanks,

:) Q.

Back