Real Vintage!

arjoll

A while ago I mentioned that I'd picked up a 1936 Ekco SW86 radio which I'm planning to restore. Haven't had a chance to start work on it yet, but I just took some photos of the knobs for a guy in the UK who was restoring a similar domestic model (the AD86) which was missing them.

Thought I'd take a few extra shots and post them here. It turns out this was an unusual set - a UK set using US valves, and while intended for general export outside the UK it appears to have only ever been sold in NZ!

Attachments

• smlEkcoSW86.jpg
    smlEkcoSW86.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 41
Of course this is a little off-topic for homerecording.com, but I thought Dr Zee would be interested :D

Attachments

• smlDSCF1762.jpg
    smlDSCF1762.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 41
From the front it looks very similar to the UK domestic model from 1935, the main outside difference being that it had SW and MW, instead of LW and MW, but inside its quite different, using US valves and valve screens. Speculation was that because US manufacturers had a lot of the pre-WWII Aust/NZ market that dealers and service companies would prefer this design because it used more familiar parts.

Attachments

• smlDSCF1763.jpg
    smlDSCF1763.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 43
A close up view of the tuning dial, cosmetically its in great condition for a 70 year old radio.

Attachments

• smlDSCF1764.jpg
    smlDSCF1764.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 38
Inside the set, again its in great condition, just a thick layer of dust.

Attachments

• smlDSCF1766.jpg
    smlDSCF1766.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 38
And some US components. This cap will probably need replaced, but I might try 'reforming' it by passing 350V DC through it at low current, this may get it back into shape. Otherwise restorers often either put modern components below the chassis or, with pre-war sets, gut the caps and hide modern ones inside.

Attachments

• smlDSCF1767.jpg
    smlDSCF1767.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 40
Kuuuuullllllll! :)

looks super-cool! nice photos also.
You know what the problem is, - doing this stuff is soooooooo damn addictive! :D Is it not?

I am waiting noe to arrive WEBCOR MUSIC MAN tube r-t-r machine. will see what I can make out of it. actually I hope (was thinking about) building a lil tube amp based on its parts... but then it will be a tough decission if the machine actually in working shape.

good luck with this radio project. and post updates when you get something done.
that cap must stay there! heh heh ..in what ever shape :D :D :D

Back