Real disc treatment

Tom Cram

A disc treatment that actually works is Turtle Wax. If your data CD gets scratched, Turtle Wax will allow you to temporarily read the CD. It fills in the scratch, simple. I used this kludge to recover the data from a scratched archive disc from my last recording session.

It saved my ass.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Damnit are you serious?

I've been paying $7 for TINY bottles of CD Scratch remover. It smells like wax, looks like wax, and it's even applied and buffed like wax.

I must say that it does work very well depending on the severity of the damage to the disc. I "fixed" several audio CDs with it.

Do you suppose it's just basic car wax priced at $7 an ounce?

Slackmaster 2000

Slack,

I betcha it's just wax! I have a canister of Turtle Wax sitting right next to my monitors. I get lots of strange comments and looks from my clients. Until I tell them the "Damaged Disc Nearly Lost Archive" story. They usually don't laugh anymore.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Got a question about your post

How long does this wax treatment last. The reason I ask is because I would like to do it to a couple of my old cd's that I haven't been able to play for a while because of scratchs.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe

Danger Will Robinson!

This is a temporary solution. I would not recommend waxing your commercial CD's. The treatment stops working after a few months, that means that the wax comes off IN your disc player. I use it to recover files so that I can burn a new disc, or relocate the files.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

The stuff that I've got doesn't seem to come off. At least it hasn't yet...that I can notice.

I'll get some turtle wax and do a comparison.

Slackmaster 2000

Another cool tip

I mentioned this tip on another bbs, I think it bears repeating. My workstation places me with my back to the door. I have been in the heat of mixing when my wife will tap me on the shoulder and scare the living hell out of me. I attached one of those fisheye mirrors on my monitor. I can now see movement in the mirror when someone enters the studio. No more stained underwear:)

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

That will be a good thread Slack

"Slack test out $7 CD repair wax, Turtle Wax, Candle Wax and Ear wax to see which best repairs CD. Read results below"

Back