Ready To Bake. Need Advive

Dan Lail

I have a Snackmaster Food Dehydrator and am ready to bake my first tape. Do I need room ventilation? The tapes do not appear to have ant dirt or mold on them.

Before you begin get a simple meat thermometer and put it in the vent opening at the bottom of the Snackmaster. The temp control has some wiggle room between the actual temp markings on the temp control knob and what the temp will be.

What size and kind of tapes do you have? That will make a difference in how you should proceed.

31Q3X4DHKVL._AA280_.jpg

Thanks, Beck, but do I need to ventilate the room for fumes?

I'm baking 1/4" on metal reels and 1/2" on 10" metal reels. I bought a thermometer. The Snackmaster has the 130 degree setting.

Thanks, Beck, but do I need to ventilate the room for fumes?

I'm baking 1/4" on metal reels and 1/2" on 10" metal reels. I bought a thermometer. The Snackmaster has the 130 degree setting.

No need to ventilate the room. All my baking is odorless.

-Ethan

Ethan is correct -- no need to ventilate. You may smell a little odor of Ampex (or whatever tape you’re baking) after about an hour, so you’ll know its working.

For the ½” tape it’s best to leave every other rack empty for better air circulation. 130 degrees is a good place to start. 4 hours for ½” and ¼” tape will usually do the trick. You can’t really over bake it time wise, so if you want to leave it in an hour or two more that’s fine. :)

Okay I have baked my first 1/4" master. Wow! Wow! Wow! It sounds pristine again. All the fidelity has returned. The songs have now been saved to a digital format. Thanks for all the advice.

Any idea how long this tape will remain sticky free?

I did it without an apron too!

Glad to hear you had good luck... and no apron, eh" :D

How long it last varies depending on climate – RH mostly, but it could be weeks or months. Unfortunately it’s not a permanent cure, but you can bake it as many times as needed for transfer to improved future digital formats that don’t exist yet.

~ Tim

Back