Read up on the AABA song structure

DAS19

Thought it was cool and young song writers should know it. I like myself feel more knowledgeable just knowing that simple structure can be effective.

comments?

Old,
Old,
Effective but,
Old.

(AABA)

There are MANY structures which work well and MANY songs which break all the rules which also work well. Tell a great story with a great melody and you will have a great song nearly every time. Best of luck with your growth as a songwriter. ;)

I have a too-consisten song structure.

It usually goes like this:

Intro (short and sweet)
Short verse
Short chorus
regular verse
regular-length chorus
solo or bridge
extended chorus
outro

Most my songs stop on a dime. I don't like songs that fade out.

I’ve got a thing for middle-8s/bridges and I like a little pre-chorus now and again.

You need to know structure so your song can find the one that suits it best. The more you play around with the structure of a song the more you realise whether it is too fat or thin. Sometimes it happens organically, sometimes you have to over build it to know you've gone too far.

True thats a good point. Sometimes the song takes you exactly where it wants to go but other times you have to put in a bridge or extra verse or new chorus.

AABA is used in a lot of songs and its good to know! Its fun to listen to a song and be like here comes the b oh now back to a.

Well alot of bands switch it up adding a C or another B into their songs.

But songs that use it as a basic form are

Beatles - I want to hold your hand
Boston - More Than A feeling
Beach Boys - Surfer Girl
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Theres more.

Back