Re-Writing

I found some of the most recent posts very interesting - in particular related to the "commerical process" I just went through.

In my case, I was able to "sell" my song and through the process of re-writing I did write a "better" song -using traditional songwriting craft as a measurement. I did feel the original spirit of the song suffered and the character ended up being much more middle of the road than I originally saw him (my original somg had a loner who found "love" but still shunned most of the outside world - the rewite had him as a lonely person who found love and then went on to have a family and a "happy" life together). - So yes, I "compromised" my original vision to meet the need of the artist. After writing songs for about 40 years - I have a desire and drive to succeed as a commercial song writer - so I make choices.

To those of you who feel it's wrong to re-write - you indeed must be brilliant writers if you can write quality lyrics without the need to make changes and improvements. However, I do find it interesting that every book and article I've read about the most successful and respected songwriters (from Tin Pan Alley, to the Brill Building to the Beatles, Springsteen and beyond)........all re-write to improve their craft.

To those who suggest that "selling" songs is somehow beneath you.......anyone who would achieve any commercial success in any business endeaver (and yes - music is a business) has to sell! You sell yourself, you sell your band, you sell your stage performance....and yes, if you achieve a certain level of success.....you sell your songs.

Are there a small number of artists who perhaps acheived some level of commercial success without some compromise....maybe - but few and far between. Are there "artists" who are satisfied in their bedroom/basement "studios" writing whatever they feel with no regard for conventional craft or commericial success - sure, and if that is the only level of artistic achievment they seek.....then they should indeed be happy.

I choose to pursue commerical success - there is nothing "wrong" with that. I'm sure I could convince myself that everything I write is great and I could mentally masturbate over that greatness (and I probably did when I was 20) - but I now choose to challenge myself to develop my writing to a level that will allow others (who themselves have achieved success) to determine if my work if good....good enough to generate income.

Regardless of the level of artistic pursuit - I think most committed writers will agree that re-writing (either to satisfy yourself or to satisfy some other artist) is an important part of the craft of songwriting.

I found some of the most recent posts very interesting - in particular related to the "commerical process" I just went through.

In my case, I was able to "sell" my song and through the process of re-writing I did write a "better" song -using traditional songwriting craft as a measurement. I did feel the original spirit of the song suffered and the character ended up being much more middle of the road than I originally saw him (my original somg had a loner who found "love" but still shunned most of the outside world - the rewite had him as a lonely person who found love and then went on to have a family and a "happy" life together). - So yes, I "compromised" my original vision to meet the need of the artist. After writing songs for about 40 years - I have a desire and drive to succeed as a commercial song writer - so I make choices.

To those of you who feel it's wrong to re-write - you indeed must be brilliant writers if you can write quality lyrics without the need to make changes and improvements. However, I do find it interesting that every book and article I've read about the most successful and respected songwriters (from Tin Pan Alley, to the Brill Building to the Beatles, Springsteen and beyond)........all re-write to improve their craft.

To those who suggest that "selling" songs is somehow beneath you.......anyone who would achieve any commercial success in any business endeaver (and yes - music is a business) has to sell! You sell yourself, you sell your band, you sell your stage performance....and yes, if you achieve a certain level of success.....you sell your songs.

Are there a small number of artists who perhaps acheived some level of commercial success without some compromise....maybe - but few and far between. Are there "artists" who are satisfied in their bedroom/basement "studios" writing whatever they feel with no regard for conventional craft or commericial success - sure, and if that is the only level of artistic achievment they seek.....then they should indeed be happy.

I choose to pursue commerical success - there is nothing "wrong" with that. I'm sure I could convince myself that everything I write is great and I could mentally masturbate over that greatness (and I probably did when I was 20) - but I now choose to challenge myself to develop my writing to a level that will allow others (who themselves have achieved success) to determine if my work if good....good enough to generate income.

Regardless of the level of artistic pursuit - I think most committed writers will agree that re-writing (either to satisfy yourself or to satisfy some other artist) is an important part of the craft of songwriting.

I have no problem with people selling their songs. Like you said, it's a business and it's a way of making a living. I don't think that everything I write is gold and should never be messed with because it will tear apart the entire meaning and unravel it.

Having said that, I've never really pursued the professional songwriting market. However, I must say, after listening to a Dixie Chicks CD that my wife bought the other day while cleaning house, I've given it some more thought! I didn't hear just about anything on there that wasn't incredibly predictable and, IMO, very unimaginative. I was definitely left thinking ... "Shit! I could definitely do that!" That probably sounds naive to the many people who have been trying to do that for a long time, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure it's pretty easy to get 85% of the way there and much harder to get that last 15% polished sheen on a song that makes it perfect for commercial release.

Anyway, my point is that I certainly don't feel that all art is sacred, and if you sell it, you're a sellout. I think that's silly. If no one wanted to make money from their art, they wouldn't sell it ... period. They'd play in their bedroom, and if they played a live concert, they should play it for free.

Everyone would love to make money from their music (who wouldn't?). The difference is that some people take the stance of "If I make money, then great, but I'm not changing anything for anyone." Others try their very best to give publishers/artists exactly what they want in pursuit of that #1 hit on the charts. And then others, like me, fall somewhere in between. I'd love to make money with my music, and I certainly wouldn't mind selling a few #1 hits for someone that would set me for life pretty much! (That would mean I wouldn't have to worry about making money with "my" music, and I could truly just do it for fun.)

I've never "tried" to write a hit and sell it, but I'm certainly not against the idea. I have a few started songs in my catalog that I know don't fit my style as an artist, but I think they'd make a great commercial country song or Americana song or whatever.

Anyway, just my two cents more.

I just wanted to throw my own two more cents in. First things first, Congratulations Mikeh, that sounds great. I haven't been on the forum very long so I'll be clear that I am a novice song writer to most, if not all of you. However I do spend the majority of time I get away from school and work writing and I love it. I started writing for myself, I never expected to start playing live or recording or anything. I've been going through a lot of shit the last few years and I needed a healthier way to get things off of my chest to avoid becoming a full blown alcoholic. So I haven't written a ton of songs that aren't extremely personal or that are about fictional characters, which I get the idea that is the case for this song.

Either way I think rewriting is an essential tool in any writing progress, however you have to look at it from more than just one point of view. Since I have no desire to sell my songs for commercial reasons, if someone were to tell me to rewrite a verse or anything like that because they had a problem with a character in the song or because they just didn't want the song to go in that direction, I probably wouldn't, because chances are, there is some really strong personal meaning to myself for that character or whatever they have asked me to write about. Now if someone suggest rewriting because something doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song then that is completely different. I never really change the meanings of anything, I just go back and find better ways to convey that same feeling to fit better musically. Now for someone in Mikeh's position I think it is completely different. I think the comparison to an interior designer is perfect. They have artistic opinions, but what the customer wants is what the customer should get, so they use their artistic abilities to fit that best. I have never thought of it like that, but I agree 100%. So for someone who is trying to make a living out of songwriting this way, I think rewriting to that extent simply makes you better at your job. You have to make sacrifices in anything to be successful and this is no different. Thats just my opinion. Like I said, I'll be the first to admit that I am very much of a novice and have a ton to learn, but thats why I came to a place like this. Anyways, congratulations again Mike

You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to do a re-write... But then again I would never sell off any of my lyrics...

Every thing is about prospective... If you're trying to sell your lyrics to an artist then a re-write is possibly necessary... And you have to take criticisms of your work. If you're not trying to sell off your lyrics then anyone who say a rewrite is necessary you can tell then to screw off because they will never know your original emotion of the piece.

The problem I would have doing a re-write is the fact that every song I write has at least three or four different meanings and every phrase ties to the previous phrase and the phrase after it... and as a consequence of that if you change one line it has a good possibility of destroying all the other meanings... and that would make it another utterly useless song in the world...

Songs and lyrics are suppose to have meaning and emotion, and I'm curious how a person can maintain any original emotion in a rewrite (not to say you can't change a word or two)..?

Ex: if I write a song about how I love crack and a producer tells me that there can be no reference to drugs in the lyrics then the entire meaning of the song is gone and what the hell is the point to writing a bunch of meaningless words so someone can, unemotionally, sing them?

I can relate to this. When I write, I don't give a f-ck about anyone and anything. But I guess it does make a difference if the person is a songwriter instead of an artist though, because you have to write for someone else.

First, congrats on selling the song Mikeh .... very cool!

Everyone else ....
It's all about what you want to accomplish.
I play for a living rather than write so when I write, the ONLY persons' reaction I care about is mine. It's truly art for arts' sake. And even then I may rewrite something a lot before I'm finished. But I truly don't give a crap if anyone else likes it .... often no one else ever even hears it.
But if I were selling the song? Shit, I'd rework it in a second, hell ..... completely change the meaning or even the subject ..... in that case selling is everything. If you sell it .... it's a success. If you don't sell it, then it's a failure even if you've written the most awesome song ever because the grading point is whether it sells or not.
As for being too attached to a song, I don't know ...... writing is easy .... I can always write another and it's free.
I enjoy the creation process and that's the fun part for me. After it's written and recorded, I don't care about it anymore ... time to move to the next thing.
So being asked to do a rewrite would, for me, simply be the next thing.

Back