Re-re-re mix........

leaningpine

Here's a re-re-re mix of my tune. I brightened up the drums and vocals, re-eq'd the bass guitar so it sat better in the mix and moved the guitars up a little. I would like some feedback on the vocals and Bass guitar especially, since I have the biggest issue trying to find a good sound for these.

Feel free to be as brutally honest as you like.

Thanks!

http://plunder.com/3fee670d83

I fell a lack of mid frequencies in the mix - between 300hz and 2Khz.
And the hihat is annoying and harsh and brittle:D...in the upper highs.Unnecessary hiper high frequencies (above 10k)IMO.

Vocal is ok, bass guitar and bass drum could have better separation.
(for what I hear in the intro, BD probably could be cutted in the 60hz range).
(intro sounds too "mono" for my tastes - no stereo information)

Ciro

I've thought about adding some stereo separation to the quiet part, via the guitar.

I tried adding some high's, I have to find a happy medium I guess.

So the vocal Eq sounded ok as well we the bass Eq?

I confirm Ciro. I downloaded the file and threw it onto my platform, and looked at it and quick-mastered it for kicks. The EQ was really lacking roughly where Ciro says it is. A lot! Huge! Ditto on the HH sound.

I re-EQ'd it, threw some stereo expander on it, verbed it up a little, and bumped the snare and BD using freq spikes on paraEQ. Sounds pretty good when it gets tweaked. But the fixes are gonna whack your sounds in other places. Need to fix the mix!

Hard to tell you the bass sounds good or bad. It overwhelming and moofy in your mix...and lost when EQ in 'normed'. I think you gotta remix starting at the beginning.

I liked the song. Gave me a Boston feel - at least in the louder/faster sections.

I agree about the lack of mids, especially on the distorted guitars.

Vocals are low in the mix. They're competing fiercely with the clean guitar. And losing. Kind of a strange ambiance on them too. However I really like the singing - especially in the choruses.

Cymbals are very phasey. Not sure if it's due to the MP3 conversion, but I'm guessing it's not.

Ride cymbal on the left is maybe 5dbs too loud. Toms are kind of loud too. In fact drum stuff seems to pop in and out throughout the song.

Ah, do I have to say lol! A set of vintage pioneer dual woofer speakers. I tested them out mixing a couple of things and playing them on 4 or 5 other speakers and the mix sounded the same on all of them, so I thought I got lucky and had a nice set of speakers that were accurate. I guess not. :laughings:

Mix sounds kind of subdued and harmless, it should really be "in your face", especially the guitars sound like they were recorded two streets away. Song's really not bad at all and the voice is very good. But it really sounds as though someone put a blanket on the whole thing.

Joey :)

Yeah you might be better off with some "real" monitors. eBay and the like can have some good deals. But remember - what ever monitors you get YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW MUSIC SOUNDS ON THEM. Listen to plenty of pro mixes on them to get a feel. Pay particular attention to the low end.

Back