Re: DSP units/cards...

zen_arcade

Dililttante.
Re: DSP units/cards...

I'm looking to take some of the CPU load off of my system and have been thinking about purchasing some sort of dedicated DSP unit or card. It seems to me that these devices only use proprietary plugins and probably cannot, for example, do the work of some third party VST effect, which is what I'm really after. I know very little about DSP cards (such as a UAD1?) or units (such as a TC Powercore?) or if they are even what I need. My gear is as follows:

Computer:
- AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08 GHz processor
- 1.00 GB RAM

Hardware:
-M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 PCI card
-Behringer UB1202 Eurorack 12-channel mixer
-M-Audio DMP3 2-channel preamplifier
-KRK Series 2 V4 powered nearfield monitors

MIDI controllers:
- (2) M-Audio Oxygen 8s (looking to replace these soon for a semi-weighted 81 or 66 key controller)

Microphones:
-Shure SM57 Dynamic Cardioid
-Audio Technica AT4040 Large Diaphragm Condenser
-Sony ECM-MS957 Condenser
-Microphone stand, pop filter and shockmount

Misc:
-Diatonic harmonicas

Guitars and amps:
-1995 Fender Stratocaster (American-made)
-Yamaha FM-77 acoustic
-Fender Blues Junior tube amplifier
-Fender Frontman 25R solid-state amplifier

Pedals:
-Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal
-Boss EQ pedal
-Dunlop Crybaby original wah pedal
-Korg Toneworks MX processor
-Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi distortion pedal (Sovtek/Russian)

Any comments or advice on the matter of easing my CPU load would be appreciated. I understand it's a broad and vague question but there are so many people with much more knowledge and experience than me here so

You can go UAD (pci/pci-e), Powercore(Pci/firewire), Focusrite Liquid Mix (firewire). They all run their own proprietary plugs and will ease your cpu load to some extentif you run their plugs instead of your natives.

Truth is, for the price DSP cards are, you can do a serious upgrade to your computer, cpu, and ram, maybe even mobo, and get ALOT more of the plugins you like already. Each of the mentioned units have some plugins I really like. But its all about value and bang for your dollar.

Back