Re-decorated / Treated Studio Pics

Good in the mixing spot because you dont have as much bass (or any for the sound that hits the window) reflecting back out of phase. But that just means that its going some where else. In your case its going outside to where your neighbors can hear it. Thats a bad thing. In my studio its going directly into the tracking room. Althought two glass windows helps that its still not perfect.

So as long as you dont have your neighbors complaining its probably not a bad thing.

Im predicting that it only reflects as low as 1KHz. Coefficient charts say it reflects the same down to 125Hz. But that doesnt mean its being reflected back into the room. Its not thick enough for that. Its just passing straight through and reflecting it on the other side.

Danny

Well its double glazed, it wont rattle much.... im still working on the rest of my room..... i just bought a new monitor and re-sprayed my old monitor black.. so i have a nice matching pair of monitors side by side.... im also upgrading to 32 channels soon... and im gona have a go at building a bridge to cover up my wires on the mixer and my pc monitors should stand on the bridge nicely... il post my blueprints up soon for some feedback :)

here is a quick blueprint/design of what i want to make for my console...
i have designed it so that it will conceal all the wires...
it will mean my screens are head-hieght
it will mean my monitors are ear height..
it will also make things generally more tidy...

tell me what you think...
(colours are not as i will have its just so you can see things clearly)

Attachments

• blueprint.gif
    blueprint.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 399
The blue box is what the mixer will be, for anyone who couldnt work it out.... and it wont be at that angle, its just it slopes and i couldnt work out how to do that in 4dCinema...

Maybe just some more food for thought but I got some good bass traps from Nick at modularacoustics.com
Well made and they look good too....
Just a thought...

Won't the positioning of your monitors relative to your console create an issue with early reflections? Or is the surface with all those controls uneven enough to deflect them?

17 years old?

<curmudgeon_voice>
Back in my day, we use a portable cassette recorder and bounced stereo with newly recorded tracks through the air into the crystal mic of another cassette recorder. Deep behind the wall of hiss, you could hear bad 70s rock music.

...Kids these days...

@Todzilla, im a hard working 17 year old :P

@MrBoogie, the monitors arent directed anywhere near the console, they hit at head level where the console is a far way below. I didnt think that a console could cause sufficient acoustic problems, should I take it into account? Will it be worth my while?

I'm not good at explaining the technical stuff, but.... Basically, the way I understand it, even though the monitors are "pointed" at your ears, and not at the console, you gotta remember sound doesn't only go in a straight line, so while the sound is coming towards you, it is also going in other directions, I think the sound exiting the speaker could be represented as a cone shape. So some sounding is going in a downward angle also, and it then bounces off the console or whatever surface the speakers are on, and then comes towards you....at least some of the sound. This sound will reach your ears a bit later than the sound you have heard directly from the speaker and together they can cause a comb filter effect.

There's another thing happening that I don't know how to explain...something to do with directivity and wavefronts adding together causing peaks at certain frequencies and holes at other frequencies. I found this information in my manual for my Tannoy Reveal monitors. You can download the manual at the Tannoy website. The information I am talking about is under section 3.3 "console reflections" in the pdf manual for the passive Reveals.

But, like I said, I'm not sure if this will affect your situation or not. It looks to me like it just might. Also, those affects might be so minimal as to not even really be an issue for all I know.

I don't know if I can post a direct link to that manual, but it's easy enough to find.

I wonder if any of the audio guys in here can comment on whether this is a big enough issue to worry about, or if it's just being extremely picky, and maybe won't have much real-world affects?? I see in several pictures that a LOT of people mount their monitors similarly, and have heard little or no mention of this before.

MrBoogie

Its something to think about, but im not entirely sure that it will be noticable because the waves hitting your ear may just overpower any reflections, making them inaudiable.

Back