Re-Amping

No worries. I'm wondering if anyone here might offer reamping as a service?
Actually, I've often wondered if there'd be money in that, since the amp sim struggle is such a big thing these days.

Maybe someone will send you a PM...Throwing it out there. :)

Lol. It wouldn't be home recording if something simple wasn't made into something cumbersome and difficult.

:laughings: :thumbs up:

I'm still curious if you can plug a guitar preamp into an interface and then bypass the preamp in a sim but use the cab in a sim. Might be a dumb question, but I'm curious.

Since you're looking for all the odd ways to get from A to B...:)...you could try a cab emulation pedal, like the H&K Red Box.
Excellent for what it does. You can do a 412 or a 212 with it.
At least that way everything happens before the interface, and you can eliminate the sim plug altogether.

Actually, I've often wondered if there'd be money in that, since the amp sim struggle is such a big thing these days.

This guy does just that Michael Wagener.com (Dokken, Metallica, Skid Row, Janet Jackson, etc...) He has a huge bunch of amps (including the ones used on classic albums like Master of Puppets) and cabinets and mics in a big nice studio.

:laughings: :thumbs up:

Since you're looking for all the odd ways to get from A to B...:)...you could try a cab emulation pedal, like the H&K Red Box.
Excellent for what it does. You can do a 412 or a 212 with it.
At least that way everything happens before the interface, and you can eliminate the sim plug altogether.

My H&K head has a red box built in. I record direct with it quite often. It's my tool of choice for working out guitar parts late at night. It sounds pretty good IMO. Usually I'll re-record the part with mic and speaker for the final mix but not always. I wouldn't use it for a featured part like a solo, but it's quite good enough for background parts and sounds better to my ears than the amp sims I've tried. What would happen if I recorded a guitar direct using the red box, then inserted a plugin cab simulator on the track? Dunno. If I had the plugin I'd try it.

About that youtube video I linked, the first step is to build the initial convolution thingy. Doesn't look much more complicated that just setting up the amp, cab, and mics like any recording session. And you only have to do it once. Then you can run your 100 watt head through a load box and record it silently whenever you want. His A/B sounded good to me. Beats using an amp sim. That's Pete Thorn BTW.

I've thought about doing that. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with tone-deaf guitar players.

The Palmer units are probably the best sounding load box/cab emulators that I've heard. They actually sound pretty good. But get your wallet out because they're proud of those things.

You can go from a preamp out to an interface into a cab sim, but if it's a tube amp you'll still need a load to protect the output transformer unless the amp is designed to be used without one in "silent" mode. Not many are.

I think it would be a pretty goo idea. If I was buying it though I would be concerned that I was getting what I was paying for. Not off Greg as such, but if this was a general thing on the market.

"Can't get feedback when re amping"

Hmm, bet it is possible, going to put electronics brain on it!

Dave.

You have to get the feedback when you are performing the part. You can't get it after the fact. Getting it with an amp sim at low volume isn't that difficult. Depending on the guitar, you can even crank up headphones and place them around the body of the guitar to excite the strings to feed back.it really doesn't take that much energy to do it.

Pretty sure I mentioned a couple of other ways to do it...

You could also mix an actual live guitar in with the signal you're reamping (maybe ducked) and capture that feeding back at reamp time. Retune it and/or capo it to try to get the right notes.

I've thought about doing that. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with tone-deaf guitar players.

Yeah...it sounds like a nice idea, but then you'll end up going back-n-forth with the people about what they want VS what you think is a good tone, etc.

I think though you would need to have a variety of amp options and be able to cover all tone styles if it was going to be a business. I mean, I guess someone could just do reamping of Metal tones or some such thing, but I think having a bunch of different amps, mics and approaches would cover all the bases.

Still...it's could be more of a PITA than anything.

I've already seen ads for guys doing real piano parts or brass or what have you, to satisfy the home rec needs where finding session musicians is not easy or cheap...but that's actual playing and recording of tracks.
With reamping, you just setup the amp/mic(s)...hit Play/Record and hopefully you nail the tone the guy wants. :D

I've also seen some adds for guys offering to add real plate echo FX for you. Like you send them the audio files and they apply a real EMT 140 plate reverb...etc.
Not sure if there's a lot of work doing that...but these days, with everything being done online, electronically...I guess whatever your imagination comes up with is doable, as long as it's somewhat profitable for you to do.

Yeah...it sounds like a nice idea, but then you'll end up going back-n-forth with the people about what they want VS what you think is a good tone, etc.
You know what my biggest hurdle was when doing this for people? Sims. People that use sims and then want real tone don't understand or can't accept the fundamental differences between a flat sim tone and the sound of a speaker moving air. The biggest complaint? It's too big. Wait, what? The sound is too big. Too chunky. Too everything. They got so used to the flat two-dimensional compressed sound of a sim that they didn't want anything to do with the multi-dimensional roar of a real speaker. Fine with me. I do not want to deal with people like that anyway.

You know what my biggest hurdle was when doing this for people? Sims. People that use sims and then want real tone don't understand or can't accept the fundamental differences between a flat sim tone and the sound of a speaker moving air. The biggest complaint? It's too big. Wait, what? The sound is too big. Too chunky. Too everything. They got so used to the flat two-dimensional compressed sound of a sim that they didn't want anything to do with the multi-dimensional roar of a real speaker. Fine with me. I do not want to deal with people like that anyway.

Charge them more money to make it sound smaller....sorta like how decaf coffee costs more. :laughings:

There certainly are some opportunities for online/electronic audio/music services, especially with the boom we have of inept home rec guys (all present HR membership excluded :) )...but I think unless you have some clear rules, like they get 2 chances to request changes and you want the payment up-front, and that any additional changes will cost more, etc...
...it's almost guaranteed to be a PITA.
It's not like you and the client in the studio, hearing the same thing, on the same system...and there's no way to hide from or ignore the reality...but then, running a small commercial brick-n-mortar studio can be as much a PITA too. :D

Charge them more money to make it sound smaller....sorta like how decaf coffee costs more. :laughings:

There certainly are some opportunities for online/electronic audio/music services, especially with the boom we have of inept home rec guys (all present HR membership excluded :) )...but I think unless you have some clear rules, like they get 2 chances to request changes and you want the payment up-front, and that any additional changes will cost more, etc...
...it's almost guaranteed to be a PITA.
It's not like you and the client in the studio, hearing the same thing, on the same system...and there's no way to hide from or ignore the reality...but then, running a small commercial brick-n-mortar studio can be as much a PITA too. :D

That's what I do, somewhat. I'd give them a 10-15 second test pass, allow them to make their own suggestions, and then I'm going for it. You wanna keep tweaking, you gotta keep paying. It's not a sustainable business opportunity because I'm not really trying to make a business out of it, and inept recorder people are too stupid and flaky for their own good. Some present HR membership included. :D

But in all honesty, I have not charged anyone from here anything. I do it for free if any HR people want it. If I have the time and a tone they want, I'm glad to do it. My only paying customers have been meat world people, and it hasn't been many.

You have to get people to pay up front and work off reputation. People wouldn't fucking pay you until you spend ages doing endless iterations to get a tone they want (and you'd probably hate).

It's probably a decent idea for someone who has a Kemper or Positive Grid and could turn it around quickly with loads of options. But I think the market for Real Roaring Marshall might be a bit limited with the current state of people that can't actually play.

I like recording things for myself though!

Haha, I don't/didn't just do Marshalls though. That's what I personally own, and will probably only ever own, but I can get my hands on various Fenders, Vox, Diamond, Mesas, Orange, almost anything. I'm not bothering with it anymore though.

Cool, would be great to have all those options. Unfortunately I don't have any and need one versatile amp I can cart around with me.

When I'm recording a get a certain satisfaction from playing a track start to finish with no fuck ups, no copy and pasting, no editing out of errors. Probably why I'm obsessing over tone so much at the moment, I just want it to be right!

Back