RE: 2488 Stereo Mix!

Sailjunkie

RE: 2488 Stereo Mix!

Some background: I have a 2488 MK II. Currently, I am running a whole lot of instruments through a Behringer MX3282 board into inputs E and F. I am also running an Access Virus Ti desktop into inputs G and H. I like to do a lot of complex arpegiation between my Juno G, Korg MS 2000R, Novation Nova, and Virus Ti, so I though I'd try to split the Ti off into to different inputs to possibly record on different tracks (to get a wider spectrum with all of the arpegiators going off)...I don't even know if this is possible...if not, I'll just plug it back into my 3282 board. My problem is this...I've lost my stereo mix. Everything is coming through in mono. The submixer is in stereo, monitor in stereo, but it's coming through my outputs (speakers and phones) in mono. I've addressed this on the tascamforums website and nobody has any answers. Anyone care to take a stab at it here?

You don’t state how you have your inputs routed so I am assuming you have E+F going to one each of the single channels, 1-12. if so, then simply assign input E to say channel 11 and F to 12 then link 11+12 together to form a stereo pair.

Not sure why you’re using the sub mixer either.

HTH

This is what I am doing...

I am assigning channels as you describe. I'm not using the submixer either (although in the lower right corner of the home display, it does say "sub"). On the mixer section of the 2488, the light is lit for stereo (so you would think that I would be hearing everything in stereo, right...wrong!). I'll keep playing around with it later today and see what I come up with...I do believe this is due to operator error...I need to figure it all out. Thanks for the response.

You don’t state how you have your inputs routed so I am assuming you have E+F going to one each of the single channels, 1-12. if so, then simply assign input E to say channel 11 and F to 12 then link 11+12 together to form a stereo pair.

Not sure why you’re using the sub mixer either.

HTH

Gotta make sure that those channels are panned, though. If they are centered you will be hearing everything in the middle.

If you were routing each of those stereo units to the paired stereo channels instead, you'd be hearing stereo, since the paired channels default to being panned hard L/R.

Yep, got the channels panned...

For some reason, I'm back to stereo...I was linking inputs E and F to channels 7 and 8 (and tieing them together)...I decided to see what would happen if I linked to channels 1 and 2 and presto! I'm back to stereo, BUT I wanted to record on tracks 7 and 8 and channels 1 and 2 would not let me (still with me?)...so, I went back and linked up channels 7 and 8 and I've got stereo...go figure. I have absolutely no idea what I did to get back to stereo...still thinking of going back to my DP 02. It's SOOO much easier to use...

For some reason, I'm back to stereo...I was linking inputs E and F to channels 7 and 8 (and tieing them together)...I decided to see what would happen if I linked to channels 1 and 2 and presto! I'm back to stereo, BUT I wanted to record on tracks 7 and 8 and channels 1 and 2 would not let me (still with me?)...so, I went back and linked up channels 7 and 8 and I've got stereo...go figure. I have absolutely no idea what I did to get back to stereo...still thinking of going back to my DP 02. It's SOOO much easier to use...

I'm at a loss to explain it. But in the end, de-assigning and re-assigning the inputs worked so you ended up where you needed to.

Back