Rattling In My Guitar Somewhere

Gregwor

I own a 2001 emeraldburst Gibson SG Supreme. When playing on every string except my big E, there is somesort of rattling coming from somewhere inside. I have had the cover on the back off and everything seems fine. This leads me to believe that it may have something to do with the pickup mounts or something. It doesn't rattle when I shake the guitar and it almost isn't a 'loose rattling sound' but rather a string hitting a fret.....but it isn't that.

Anyone ever have a problem like this before? I'm just checking if it is a common occurance so that I don't start ripping and tearing at my guitar for nothing.

Thanks in advance. Greg.

(Oh, I did get an EMG 81 put in, however it was doing this before that)

This may seem like a stupid question, but you have all the strings on right..?? i remember when i got my guitar and i snapped a string the little tuner peg rattled when i played.

Could be the tuners, but it seems unlikely given the age and quality of the instrument. Try strumming while holding the tuning knobs. Also, see how tight the tone/vol knobs and output jack are.

Originally posted by TheGuitarMan
Weird noises come out of my guitar all the time. I usually just hit the damn thing and it stops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jimi Hendrix used to do that too."

yeah, but jimi was hitting it to GET weird noises.
:D

Loose truss rod?

I dunno, but there are only so many possibilities here. Joints all tight / nothing going on with the pickguard / internal wiring tight and so on..

Tuners first...check those tuners! I know you're thinking, "but the buzz is coming from over here...." Don't trust your ears when it comes to locating a rattle!

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
Tuners first...check those tuners! I know you're thinking, "but the buzz is coming from over here...." Don't trust your ears when it comes to locating a rattle!
...or an ATM.

Hey Slackmaster, I've had the exact same thing happen to me once after dropping a classical assoustic. I finally turned the trussrod with an allen wrench a couple twists and it fixed it. I'm not saying this IS the thing to do but it fixed the prob for me.

Maybe have a set up job done by a good tech. Can't do anything except make it better. He/She may be able to locate the rattle easier than you or I if he/she has any experience.

Thanks for all your help guys. I haven't had time to find the problem yet, but with all your suggestions, I'm sure I'll find it.

1. I doubt it is my truss rod cause I adjusted it not long ago and it was tight.

2. Doubt it's wiring/pots cause they are all tight, and it doesn't sound like one of those kind of rattles. It's more of a really small string rattle. Like a small E string is stuck in my guitar hitting something else metal.

It sounds like it's coming from near my bridge pickup, but as you've said, don't trust your ears when deciefering this garbage. I'll post when I find it. Thanks again.

Truss Rod

As stated before, if your truss rod is all the way loose it will rattle.
Hopefully your rod is not snaped. I have seen guitars with broken truss rods and they rattle from the vibrations of playing, even more so on the lower strings. It really sounds like your Truss to me. It's actually pretty common.

Good luck

Brian

Back