Rate these monitors

Welcome to the Sibleypeck Show!
Please stop in just long enough to figure out that you've been fooled into thinking somebody thinks you're an expert.
See you next time!

I used the Monitor Ones (passives) until I got some Tannoy Reveals.
I like the M1s but thought the bass was too hyped up. I also noticed my mixes translating better to other systems one I started using the Tannoys.

I own a pair of the Tannoys, the Passive Reveals. They were about $350 US at Mars Music. I know there are better speakers out there, but these ones make me happy. I found them to be a big improvement over the Alesis.

Yeah, I have Monitor Ones and I can't mix on them. It might be because I am just not good at it, but I tend to think it has more to do with the way the speakers sound. Bass is really hard to mix on these things. Tannoys would be a thought, as would Behringer Truth monitors.

mastahnke,

I have decided to get the Yorkville YSM1s. There's a place in Grabill, IN (near FT. Wayne) that sells them for $196/pr.
I plan to order them today and, if you are interested, would be happy to tell you what I think after I become familiar with them.

My YSM1s arrived yesterday. Let me tell you my first impression.

Incredible bass response - deep; flat; firm.
Highs - brittle.
Over-all: Very pleased. These speakers are LOUD. They look better than I expected.

sponge bob,

There is a comparison between the YSM1s and the Tannoy SBMs in the July 1996 issue of Electronic Musician (which is conveniently posted ont the Yorkville website).
I don't know how the SBMs compare to the Reveals. And the YSM1s are the only near-fields I've ever heard. I wish I could help you more.

Since my last post, I haven't had a chance to listen critically to the YSM1s. I did listen to one cut - "Count On Me", by Lucky Peterson - just because it has an extremely low, burpy-sounding bass track and I wanted to really enjoy the YSM1's bass response. Having never heard any other near-fields I have nothing to compare to, but I am completely astonished at the YSM1s full, flat, extremely deep and solid bass.

Can anyone recommend some cuts to test the highs and mids?

Back