rappers and money

scorpio01169

why is it everytime i have a rapper come to my studio and ask me to help him with some beats and stuff, as soon as i mention money they act like it was a surprise that i was gonna charge them? even my friends, i had a friend ask me to help him with some beats.....i told him all he has to do is pay for the media only $40 and i'll do all the recording for free cause he's a friend....aint heard from him since. :confused: my nephew, good rapper, asked me to record him and his boys, told him just buy the hard drive...only $32. between him and four others they could not do it. yet i see them with black and milds i dont get it.

yep thats why alot of producers turn to rapping, people dont wanna buy beats, there's too many people giving out freebies

I know when I started out, I went to a studio and paid for mine. Dude got all happy because I was in there every week wanting to finish up a beat or record a new song.

Then I got tired of paying him because I thought I could get better quality myself and I was like....damn I'm paying this dude to make the beat but I'm kicking 80% of the ideas to him as it's being made. Why can't I do it on my own??

I get people all the time who want to join up with me thinking that they're not going to pay shit and it's cool. That's when I make them sign PAPERS (if I think they're worth two shits though). Then if shit comes proper and I don't get paid for what they recorded with me, it's lawyer time. Fyre is right though, with all the people putting freebies out there and the popularity of file sharing and bit torrents, people don't usually want to pay for beats.

My advice is if you don't want to pay someone else to do your music, invest some time and money and try to learn it yourself.

Sometimes you just gotta make the best out of bad situations.
Fiev.

Fieva said:
I know when I started out, I went to a studio and paid for mine. Dude got all happy because I was in there every week wanting to finish up a beat or record a new song.

Then I got tired of paying him because I thought I could get better quality myself and I was like....damn I'm paying this dude to make the beat but I'm kicking 80% of the ideas to him as it's being made. Why can't I do it on my own??

I get people all the time who want to join up with me thinking that they're not going to pay shit and it's cool. That's when I make them sign PAPERS (if I think they're worth two shits though). Then if shit comes proper and I don't get paid for what they recorded with me, it's lawyer time. Fyre is right though, with all the people putting freebies out there and the popularity of file sharing and bit torrents, people don't usually want to pay for beats.

My advice is if you don't want to pay someone else to do your music, invest some time and money and try to learn it yourself.

Sometimes you just gotta make the best out of bad situations.
Fiev.

Word. :D

--Re-Lapse

well...

then to be honest there not rappers at all, there really just fans who think its cool and want to impress there friends and if thats the case don't even waste your time and energy caus you'll never see any good sign of recognition from it. real rappers are the ones who look at your studio as a means to get out what they want by any means wether monetary or bartering. we all paid our dues when it comes to studio time and beats and it'll never change its the life we live ;)

rnb259 said:
then to be honest there not rappers at all, there really just fans who think its cool and want to impress there friends and if thats the case don't even waste your time and energy caus you'll never see any good sign of recognition from it. real rappers are the ones who look at your studio as a means to get out what they want by any means wether monetary or bartering. we all paid our dues when it comes to studio time and beats and it'll never change its the life we live ;)

:cool: What a so true statement, but i aslo agree with Fie..

I know I get ask a million times for free this and that,,nothein is free..my equipment didnt come free.. but i do hook people up that I know is real and is doing something to make major move.. have paperwork ..work out a agreement with the artist..if they a real ..and make real moves..not makin mixtapes for friends..im talk about the artist that are doin the shows..that are pressing albums and getting know..
Spec Deals arent bad if you beleive in the artist that is looking for beats/tracks.. its up to you on what you want to do when a(n) artist hit your up or walk through your doors..

bknot1 said:
:cool: What a so true statement, but i aslo agree with Fie..

I know I get ask a million times for free this and that,,nothein is free..my equipment didnt come free.. but i do hook people up that I know is real and is doing something to make major move.. have paperwork ..work out a agreement with the artist..if they a real ..and make real moves..not makin mixtapes for friends..im talk about the artist that are doin the shows..that are pressing albums and getting know..
Spec Deals arent bad if you beleive in the artist that is looking for beats/tracks.. its up to you on what you want to do when a(n) artist hit your up or walk through your doors..

Yeah I know that if I spot somebody who has good potential but little to no business sense, I'll take them under my wing.

You never know how someone can turn from not serious to motivated if they have a company backing them....even a small home studio company like mine :D

Fiev.

Back