Raping

fu11m3ta1

hey, im a rapper , i use a condesnor mic(nady scm 900, or mxl 990), pop filter, compressor(samson), and a behinger mixer. the problem is wen i edit my vocals, if i use a vocal compression my vocals sound alot different from my orginal voice but i need the compression, so any 1 recommand good settings, compression is the only setting im missing

why not take your compressor out of the equation since you want to compress again after it already recorded?

well the thing is the compressor is used to kill any hiss, (the expander on it) and not really used as much for compression, think of it as a slight compression. but many people use 4:1 very fast attck, makes everything equal but it kind of kills my voice, i might try to play with the eq hi mid and lo...

does your mixer have a pad switch on it? I have a bunch of mics, and I get a little hisss on all of them, but if you turn the pad on, there will be little or no hiss, in my case no hiss at all. Look for an outboard pre amp, like the dmp3( a lot of people arpund here swear by it) and ditch the compressor. this is just my opinion BTW. Most say no compression on the way in, record it as clean as possible and tweak all you want once its recorded.

I have a presonus bluetube dsp and I really like it and it suits me well. The dmp3 is regarded as a very good clean pre so I would consider that first. The pre amps on behringers tend to suck.

all my opinion mind you, I am learning day by day myself.

does your mixer have a pad switch on it? I have a bunch of mics, and I get a little hisss on all of them, but if you turn the pad on, there will be little or no hiss, in my case no hiss at all. Look for an outboard pre amp, like the dmp3( a lot of people arpund here swear by it) and ditch the compressor. this is just my opinion BTW. Most say no compression on the way in, record it as clean as possible and tweak all you want once its recorded.

I have a presonus bluetube dsp and I really like it and it suits me well. The dmp3 is regarded as a very good clean pre so I would consider that first. The pre amps on behringers tend to suck.

all my opinion mind you, I am learning day by day myself.
nope it doesnt, can u recommend any settings on the hi mid lo, i dont have a hiss problem as the compressor takes care of it, BUT my issue is that rap vocals are usually compressed alot, but my voice is being dulled out and killed, i use a -24 threshold. i need a good software compression setting to make eveything even without killin my vocals, and if anyone has suggestions on hi mid lo on my mixer

i do not know frequencies. I mix by how it sounds to my ears. I do hip hop beats and vocals for a buddy of mine as a side project. I never do ANYTHING on the way in. I record dry, then mix afterwards and I get good results. With the gear you are using you are not going to get great results, especially if you are compressing and eq'ing on the way in, same goes if you have thousands of dollars in gear. Fact is, unless you really know what you are doing(which I myself am limited to) you will not get the results you are looking for. I am basing this from all I have read here and elsewhere and what I do know from experience.

I really think you should try to record dry and then add compression and eq afterwards. I do not know what interface you are using(behringer mixer?) but that may be your first place to spend some money. Look for something with pre's and a pad switch. This is my opinion and some may disagree. I only suggest a new interface because behringer pre's are not very good and if you were to drop a couple hundred on a outboard pre, you might as well save more and get a better interface with better pre's built in. Learn how to use that with your current mics, then go from there with possible upgrading to some decent monitors followed by a better mic.

All my opinions of course. Im only trying to help because it seems a lot of people dont like the hip hop and dont help much. Check out the hip hop section and see what they are doing. Do some searches on here and read everything you can, take it all in and then go and experiment.

I don't know much but I've not come across someone specifically using a compressor JUST to deal with hiss.
I'd isolate the origin of the noise & work from there.
Is it mic hiss, mixer pre hiss or what?
Compress in the box if you have to compress.
Oh, & could yoou edit the thread title?- it's off putting

Aside from the title, I'm still tryin' to figure out why a compressor (or a pad for that matter) would be someones first choice in dealing with hiss!?:confused:

Aside from the title, I'm still tryin' to figure out why a compressor (or a pad for that matter) would be someones first choice in dealing with hiss!?:confused:

It shouldn't be. It's wrong. As far as a pad goes, it's not reducing hiss, it's simply turning down the output of the mic. So, of course you think you're getting less hiss. Turn it back up to the volume it was before you put on the pad, same hiss.

Check out all your connections......if you a running a snake to connect all your mic.......hang on a sec.......hiss.......snake...........I think we may have solved the problem

well, given the stuff he is using, i gave my opinion based on a simular experience. My first time tracking vocals I was using an AT2020 and an AT2021 at the same time(experimenting:rolleyes:) going into my presonus bluetube then to alesis usb board/interface. I was getting some hiss as well, but it was not really hiss as much as it was the air in the room I guess, plus the gain was too high. So I turned the gain down, hit the pad switch, and adjusted levels in the software and problem was solved. The results turned out damn fine IMO. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5787879

Plus, I stated many times in my posts that I dont know much and it was my opinion only. Good thing someone who actually knows something came around to tell it like it is:D

Back