Rap Oriented (advice please)

oh thx. And I believe i saw an article sayin condensers are not perferable to vocalists. But just wonderin... wouldnt the windscreen prevent the issue of saliva fuckin up the mic?

lol idiocy on my part. Found out that its not just plain ol sheetrock... special kind (im unaware of the specifics). Plus soundproofin insulation. I prolly should still seek out room treatment tho I surmise. The guy doin it for us mentioned an expensive foam that would be some proffessional type shit. I assume thats in the same vein of what your talkin about. I guess we could look for a cheaper one. Is there anythin more convienent for room treatment? Some to just put on the walls?

oh thx. And I believe i saw an article sayin condensers are not perferable to vocalists. But just wonderin... wouldnt the windscreen prevent the issue of saliva fuckin up the mic?

lol idiocy on my part. Found out that its not just plain ol sheetrock... special kind (im unaware of the specifics). Plus soundproofin insulation. I prolly should still seek out room treatment tho I surmise. The guy doin it for us mentioned an expensive foam that would be some proffessional type shit. I assume thats in the same vein of what your talkin about. I guess we could look for a cheaper one. Is there anythin more convienent for room treatment? Some to just put on the walls?

You don't want foam, my man. You want rigid fiberglass or rock/mineral wool @ 3-5 pcf.

Condensers pick up more room sound and are less forgiving. For your situation, a quality dynamic is preferable.

I again respectfully recommend that you select each component with care, instead of trying to get it all done in one swoop. Start with the room. Then the mic. Then the preamp/interface.

You will save $$ and turn around a better product. Hell, with a good dynamic you might not even need a "soundproof" booth.

Caveat Emptor

if you are good with the glue and spray paint you can build nice diffusers out of scrap 2x4...corragated foam can be cheap if you buy it from a foam supplier instead of shopping auralex or some other ripoff outfit...be sure you get flameproof stuff.

Yeah - it'd be nice if it actually worked as advertised. Foam can be attractive, but it can cause as many problems as it solves.

Owens-Corning 703 FTW

I had just gone to Sam Ash today for more scopin.

The guy there said CONDENSERS are better for vocals... and dynamics are more for instruments. Either way i researched that large diaphragms better for vocals either way perferably condenser. The Dynamics looked like some live stage mics and thats what they seem to be used for more often.

Kinda frustratin cuz i went in there almost sure the dynamic was what i needed for rap vocal... Like i was sure USB would be good... and how i didnt know id need a audio interface or room treatment >_<. Shit just cant be easy can it :-\?

I got recomended the AKG preception 220.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...e_-1_10052_10002_-49958337_cmCategorySA-10001

Gonna have to find a windscreen and a suitable audio interface.

Sam Ash guy is full of it. Dynamics and condensers are both used for vocals and instruments. The right mic is specific to a given voice....

Don't skimp on the interface. A $70 interface is likely to suck, and you'll end up replacing it quickly.... About the cheapest thing that I'd suggest would be something like an TASCAM US-122L. Whatever you can spend beyond that, spend on a usable mic.

Back