Ramones' "Beat on the brat" strumming

cordura21

Hey guys. Do you know this song? I want to learn that part just before the guy starts singing "beat on the brat". The guitar player does eights, but he gets a special sound. Instead of going:
"CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA"
he goes:
"CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU"
(I know it'll be hard to understand for those who don't know what I'm talking about)

How does he do it? And what chords does he use, full power, barred? Any thoughts on gain, eq, etc?
Thanks in advance. Andrés

Johnny Ramone only ever played downstrokes on guitar. In case you don't know what a downstroke is, it's where you only hit the strings while your hand moves down. Three note powerchords, no idea about gain or eq. Johnny used a Mosrite guitar though, and Marshall amps I think.

Thanks. yeah, i read that, but I wonder how he got the different tones in the odds and even notes in the strumming. Know what I mean? In the intro all the notes sound the same, but in the "beat on the brat" part he does it in a way that he gets a pumping feel going on.

As much as I believe that they were close-minded enough to only play down strokes, I have to belive that the "CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU" came from alternating.

Just look at the two styles you typed:

"CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA-CHA"
"CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU-CHA-KU"

Now go play a guitar and do one with all down strokes and one with alternating.

You typed the exact sound.

johnny's technique came from pure skill; playing those downstrokes for so many years gave him the skill to downstroke using hand muting. he handmuted the upstroke while barely touching with the pick on the upward attack. at least, that's how i do it.
it allows you to play hard but sound muted.
neil young does it...A LOT. in fact i would say that is his style.

Last edited:
never heard the particular song but as a metal player I can gurantee that you can get more than one sound from just down-picking.

here's a little clip of the song attached (and zipped so I could upload it).

Attachments

• beatonthebrat.zip
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
Back