RAM cas 2-2-2 or 4-4-4?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
It's been a few years since I built a PC but I remember that you wanted CAS 2-2-2 latency for RAM. Now days when I see deals at Tiger or NewEgg it seems the performance RAM is 4-4-4.
Anyone know if one or the other makes that much of a difference in performance?

Lately when I turn on a CPU hungry plug my PC does a 2 second stall w/ a awesome sounding Bzzzzzzz! I'm thinking one of my sticks of RAM might be going.

Thanks,
B.

The latencies are longer for DDR2 ram.

In any case, I don't think ram latency has ever been implicated in a poorly performing daw

Thanks BH. A few years ago when systems had to be configured just so to get decent performance (PII PIII ect...) ... when it came to RAM it was always said to make sure and get cas 2-2-2. Now PC are so fast it seems most of all the tweaks and tech specs don't really matter as much... get a fast drive (or 2) and a decent amount of RAM and off you go... pretty great really.

I have a AMD 2800, 1G Ram, 2 7200drives and my "older" Matrox g550 dual head. I still do the XP tweaks and she runs and records very nice... except for the recent bzzzzt! I think it's time to take a day and format and reinstall everything... I might try a different recording drive and see if that does anything.

B.

Back