Rainbows End

RockinRobert

Please check out Rainbows End and let me know what you think. I have only cheap headphones to mix with, so I could use some knowledgeable ears :)
Song was written as a tribute to Uriah Heep's main keyboardist and songwriter, Ken Hensley.

Good recording. Maybe the bass could use som emore body and a little compression. The drums could use some humanizing.

Good stuff. Really like the electric slide sounds near the end. Clear vocals, great backup vocals near the end as well. One of the acoustics I did find a little destracting at times, it's kinda buzzy sounding and sticks out. Overall nice job!

thanks gentlemen....

Meshuggah, I heartily agree with your comment about the drums. I only have an SR16 and I can't program the peice of crap, and the trigger pads are worthless. But I am soon to have a real kit in my studio, hopefully that will cure that problem. As far as the bass, I agree with you totally also, but I purposely tried to copy the sound of Gary Thain, the monster bass player for Uriah Heep in the 70's, and that sound doesn't stand up to well these days. But you are absolutely right.
Emeric, I'm glad you checked my tune out. As far as the vocals, it's just a 57 through a Mackie. The buzzing acoustic is a cheapy Epiphone, so you're absolutely right there too :) I also need to compress that acoustic track a bit, I think it will fit in the mix better then. The backing vocals....once again were an attempt to get a Uriah Heep sound. It's 4 part harmony, panned 9 o'clock, 11 o'cock, 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock with a Sound Forge chorus added to the mixdown of these 4 tracks. It really sounded huge on the .wav file,The MP3 lost a little bit of that dimension in the conversion. Slide and electric guitar is my cheapy Mexican Fender Tele ( actually a great guitar )through a Line6 AX2/212. Oh, by the way, I still have some Hammond B3 to be added to it soon.
I guess my main question is, did the overall mix sound OK? I'm stuck at this point with $15 Sony headphones purchased at Wally World, so I'm concerned at how close I'm getting the overall mix. Thanks to all in advance for your opinions. bOb

bOb....

Great song, nice recording!
I agree with the previous comments about the volume level of the bass and the improvement of the drums, but other than that, I thought Rainbows End was quite excellent. :)
I've always been a big fan of Uriah Heap (since around 1970) and I think you did an excellent job of capturing the sound and spirit of the band.
I see that you're downstate from me, and I couldn't help but hearing a bit of a 'Head East' influence in the song.
(a GREAT southern Illinois rock band!)

Was that you singing?... or was it Fred?
There were times when the vocals almost sounded like Dennis DeYoung of Styx!

BTW, say hello to Rob Petry for me! :)

Buck, you da man!

Buck, thank you for the great words...I am humbled. Did you know Uriah Heep is alive and well in Europe? They have been going strong over there for many years. If you wanna know more about them, write me an e-mail. So you're from Chi-Town huh? I see you figured out I'm from the home of Dick and Jerry Van Dyke, Gene Hackman and Donald O'Connor ;) Head East started in these parts as well as REO Speedwagon. Corn fed rock, I guess! I'm really excited that some people are listening to my tune. This is my first submission to this board. I am taking ALL of the advice seriously. I can only get better by listening to other peoples opinions, especially so many here with tons of recording experience. BTW, that me on vocals. Fred is doing Les Paul Blues, but you can hear him alot better at http://www.mp3.com/stormrock. Do you have anything I can check out? I'd love to. Thanks a bunch, bOb.

[Edited by RockinRobert on 02-20-2001 at 10:05]

bOb...

Here's our website, which features long song samples.

http://go.to/macbrothers

Click on the green LifeSaver for the tunes.
Our stuff is very diverse... (Rock, Country, Pop, etc.)
We had some meager equipment at the time the CD was recorded, so the quality isn't top-notch.
I'll make sure to check out more of your songs and Fred's stuff when I get home from work. There's no speakers here to listen to. :(

Keep Rockin! :)
Buck

Back