rage guitar sound (how?)

signpainter

Just curious about the gear and recording technique the guitarist in rage against the machine uses to get that sound......
V

I dont think recording techniques have much to do with sound. From what I've heard it sounds pretty straight-forward. He does seem to use effects alot though. Most of the weird shit is done by experimental stuff like taking his instrument cable out of his guitar and touching it to his strings or his bridge or something. That DJ scratch thing he did on "bulls on parade" was done by scraping an allen wrench against his strings while flicking his pickup selector switch back and forth. He had the volume on one off his pickups turned off, so when he switched between the two pickups it had an "on-off" effect. (Certainly anyone with a les paul style wiring setup on their guitar has experimented with that technique.)

Rage's guitarist gets alot of praise for his experimental methods, but to me alot of his stuff sounds like it was written by a guy with severe writers block. Who here hasn't tried alot of the things he does in his songs without ever hearing his work? I know I have out of boredom, but usually I just say, "okay that was fun, now im going to PLAY my guitar, instead of play WITH it.

Sorry I just re-read your post and realized I probably didnt answer your question. You're probably wondering about his actual tone, right? I saw his rig in a magazine once. I believe he used a Marshall JCM800 with a Marshall 1960 cab. It was an old article, but I remember his rig was really simple compared to most guitarists rigs you see in magazines. As far as the recording technique, I have no idea.

I think at Ratm.org, although it's an old website, there is the guitar setup of Morello. Although his customised guitars give unique sounds, not really reproducable

And i TOTALY DISAGREE Ulandine when he/she says he doesn't do anuthing valuable. I think he's one of the greatest guitarist of the last 10 years. At least he tries to do something new instead of playing one billion notes a second. It is an art to have your own style instead of copying others. He tells a story with his sounds. Because that's his great advantage: he really thinks in sounds instead of the notesystem that was obliged to us.
Just listen to solo's just as the one on Mic Check. Or the solo on Take The Power back: great musical sense, great funkyness en an own style.

Back