RadioShack Mics?

mapexdrums

I have 2 Sm57's but I was thinking of getting some cheap radioshack mics to mic up some of the other parts of my drum kit. Any thoughts?

Yeah. Save your money and get something good. Don't be tempted by a quick fix of cheap mics you'll want to get rid of later.

2 57s in x-y sound pretty cool on drums... very indie/punky. i would stick with that. limited sound, but a good sound.

if, for some reason, you had to limit yourself to radioshack, a pzm mic would round it out well. but really, why limit yourself.

if you want a single mic to add to your 2 57s, i would head for a cheap LDC to use out in front of the kit. that would be a cool sound... depend on the 57s to deliver the punch, and get a cheapy condenser to hi-fi up the highs and extend the lows a bit.

if you are really strapped for cash just look at musicians friend and get the cheapest thing you can find. if you are saving up, the CAD m179 is useful.

the grapevine reports that these are good for $39
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6/g=rec/s=mics/search/detail/base_pid/273165/

i Got A Radio Shack Mic When I First Started And Believe Me It Might Work A Bit, But In The Long Run Your Going To Eventually Have To Spend The Money, So If You Have It Now... Spend It... If You Dont Have It Now Then Spend On The Radio Shack Mic, But Your Quality Might Suffer, Peace

Pick up another few SM57s if you want to add to your collection. They won't always sound brilliant on everything but as Fletcher puts it, they won't ever suck.....

The same can't be said for Radio Shack mics.........

radio shack.....

U joking...men...
i bough my first mixer at there....300 dollars
believe me or not, i feel terrible just a year later...beacuse i realize i can buy much better stuff in other store with the same price... :eek:

I have a pair of RS electret cardioid SDC (SM81 clones) that I bought new in the early 1980s. Paid something like $39 each. They still work well today, especially as drum overheads.

Got lucky, I guess.

Now now. Radio shack occasionally has a barain or two. Harvey recomended some Radio shack drum mics a while back, do a search.

Oh, and the PZM Mic that radio shack used to sell is no more. The one they sell now is crap.

Radio Shack used to sell shure mics rebranded with their own name. Back in the 80's IIRC. If you look into the plug end they were labeled shure on the XLR plug. You can find these in pawn shops from time to time cheap.

Back