Radiohead - Creep GUITAR

AudioVault

If youve heard this song creep by Radiohead then you know exactly what im talking about. Anyone know what gear there using to get that guitar sound that rattles my balls?! i know its brought WAY up in the mix almost to wear it drowns everything else out but im trying to do a cover and my guitar sound just isnt quite there.

Thom York uses a tele through a Fender Twin Reverb..

Ed O'Brien uses Rickenbackers through a VOX AC-30 and quite often a Mega Boogie Duel Rectifier Tremoverb...especially for the high gain stuff

Johnny Greenwood used teles through a VOX AC-30 and Fender Deluxe '85.

I think they've been using this setup for a while now.

I might be wrong but pretty sure I'm not. :)

Someone tell if I'm full of it or not, but the story behind that riff goes like this-

They were tracking "Creep", and some things were not going so well when Ed was laying his parts down. He got pissed, and decided to activate most of the pedals on his board and play a few power chords over the part instead of what he did before.

TuoKaerf said:
Someone tell if I'm full of it or not, but the story behind that riff goes like this-

They were tracking "Creep", and some things were not going so well when Ed was laying his parts down. He got pissed, and decided to activate most of the pedals on his board and play a few power chords over the part instead of what he did before.

All true, as far as I can find out, though the pedal in question was definately a Marshall ShredMaster: it is largely because of this track that the ShredMaster (one of the few pedals Marshall hasn't seen fit to reissue) is now so expensive. The problem is that the Shredmaster has massively interactive controls, so even if you have one (I used to...), you can experiment for months without getting anything close to the 'Creep' sound. Less authentic, but cheaper and easier, try a bridge mounted humbucker through a ProCo Rat, or (better still) Turbo Rat (which, I believe are also found on the Radiohead pedalboard)
HTH

Actually, what happened is that for shits and giggles, York decided to pull out his Behringer V-amp and started fiddling with the presets.

You're right, but it was Jonny not Ed that decided to be an ass. I've actually got a couple of Radiohead books at my recording space that talk about the recording of a lot of their songs, I'll have a look later and get back.

Rory

Actually, I'll elaborate on what I do know.

During tracking, Jonny thought that the tempo was too slow, so he turned on his shredmaster and did his little "chu chunk", which was something he did a lot during tuning, thinking it would ruin the take. (Un)Fortunately for him it turned out to be the disctinctive thing in that otherwise boring song.

Rory

Back