Radio station wants this song. Which version should I send and what's wrong w/the mix

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
We got a request for this song, the local station wants to play it.

I have a sudo mastered version I did with WAVES ULTRAMAXIMIZER and a RAW mix out of Pro Tools.

Which one would you send? Or, would you send neither? Do I need to fix anything?

Thanks!!

RAW MIX:

SUDO-MASTERED WITH WAVES:

SUDO-MASTERED WITH WAVES VERSION 2:

-- http:///www.myspace.com/socialxray

Last edited:
Id send the 2nd one.
Sounds louder.

Could do with a tad less in the low mids, around 200-350Hz.

Eck

Radio compression is massive...for radioplay, I'd send in the raw mix...you might tune the vocal a tad too.

Oh, and just to complete the "what a dick" image that I like to uphold, it's "pseudo," not "sudo."

:D

Radio compression is massive...for radioplay, I'd send in the raw mix...you might tune the vocal a tad too.

Oh, and just to complete the "what a dick" image that I like to uphold, it's "pseudo," not "sudo."

:D

Ha! Pseudo it is. I feel stupid! D'oh! (I never knew that!!)

Tune the vocal, meaning? Pitch correction?

sudo userdel blkdog7
I kid, I kid

Listening to the raw right now, it sounds like you're already pushing the limits of your headroom. Bring everything down a bit so that there are some dynamics left. Now the version 1 pseudo-mastered waves one came on. Yeah, I stand by the thought of just turning everything down. I don't know how you didn't hear any digital artifacts, but there is a lot of distortion present - especially in the cymbals. But yeah, I'd say that if you turned everything down (now it seems like the bass is causing a lot of it too, maybe turn the bass down a little bit lower), you'd be decent.

Is it me, or are the vocals too low? I listened to all 3 mixes and the vocals were slightly drowned to the point where its got to fixed.

Thanks again to all that left the feedback. I am definitely listening!

I remixed it again. Brought the vocals up, etc.

What do you think?

Much better. I'd recommend bringing the overheads up, as I can barely hear the cymbals. The whole mix could stand to have more highs in general. Other than that, it sounds pretty balanced and none of the harshness I heard before is there anymore.

Edit: Another thing you might want to do is take a little bit of the distortion effect off the louder vocals, as it gets a bit distracting. Not a huge issue though.

Much better. I'd recommend bringing the overheads up, as I can barely hear the cymbals. The whole mix could stand to have more highs in general. Other than that, it sounds pretty balanced and none of the harshness I heard before is there anymore.

Edit: Another thing you might want to do is take a little bit of the distortion effect off the louder vocals, as it gets a bit distracting. Not a huge issue though.

I just fixed the mix and brought the distorted vocals down:

THANKS!!!

Back