racks/arrays, couplers, isolation,etc.

JasonBird

Average Member
hey there all. A few years ago, around 4-5 i guess now, while i was still in Idaho, i built some racks for various members of the forum. You can do a search and see that they were well recieved. Anyway, we moved here to Kansas and my shop has been mothballed since moving here. My current job is a cabinet maker for Aircraft interiors. we do all of the cabinets for Cessna, Embraer, Piaggio, Falcon Jet. the aircraft industry as a whole has been hit pretty hard in this economy and our shop is losing business and workers left and right now, so i'm thinking about going back into business for my self again. Building racks, small desks, pc isolation boxes, space arrays and couplers. so, i guess what i'm doing is putting a feeler out there to see if you guys feel like there is a competitive market for this stuff. i'm pretty comfortable in saying that i can probably beat any advertised price on racks and things by 50 bucks or more depending on what it is. i have 25 plus years of cabinetmaking experience and everything i need here at home. i just need the demand. is it out here? Like i said, do a search and you see that the stuff i made a while back was well made and received. comments, opinions are appreciated.

JasonBird

Price point is always the issue here. Most custom built stuff is too expesive for he average hobbyist, but if you can do something in a reachable price range, you might get lots of traction.

i have a small workshop, along with my small home studio, and i was all about building myself a desk, but for $200, being able to buy somehtig ready-made won out. I would have spent that much on wood and hardware to make my own.

That said, I ended up doing soe woodworking to modify the desk i bought and am now prety happy with it.

What i would suggest is to find a niche in the home recording world and grab that. One suggestion i would give is to build some isolation cabs for guitar speakers. Age old arguement for home recordists: to compromise tone for volume or keep the tone and ruin family and neigbor relationships. Very little aftermarket options and once you get a basic design it would be a fairly easy build. I am looking at a project for myself to build a new one (my first attempt didn't isolate as well as i wanted and didn't sound that great either). My big challenge is with
1. dimensions - wanted to make something fairly compact, but also dimensioned well to sound good.
2. Real sound isolation, which i think is best done wit a box-within-a-box, compelte with great seals and ways to pass the signal to the speaker and from the mic while keeping the sound inside.

Maye that is helpful, maybe not.
Daav

Back