Rackmount Delay

Wireneck

Looking for a Rackmount delay for my guitar rig. My only real stipulations are that it needs to have a foot switchable bypass, foot switchable tap tempo and is under $200 new or used. I don't need any crazy rhythmic delays. Mostly using it to fill out leads in a live setting. I had a TC Electronics M300 a while back, sold it because we weren't playing live shows and it was just collecting dust in the rack. Wouldn't mind buying another but really all I used was the delay patches so thought there might be something better suited. Any suggestions or experience?
Going into the effects loop of my Engl Ritchie Blackmore signature 100 amp head.

thanks in advance!

Hmm is that a Lexicon? Not seeing any on e-bay right now.

Thought of another wanted but not really needed feature. What do they call it where the delay tails continue even after you bypass? I think that would be pretty sweet as well.

Do you really need it to be a rack mount unit? You mention you're going to use it for live shows, and that you'll need a footswitch anyway. I have two delays in my rig (and I am totally obsessed with delays btw). they work great for live and recording.

I mainly use a Boss DD-20, but also use a Line 6 DL4. The line 6 is a totally sweet unit that has tons of different delay simulators of famous ones throughout the years. It has good controls to really dial in the sounds, and room for 3 presets plus tap tempo, and a 14 second infinite phrase looper. My 1 and only gripe with this pedal is the lack of spillover as you mentioned...
Which leads me to the reason I even have the DD-20 in my setup. It does have spillover and in our band, it is crucial to fill out the sound in certain scenarios. The DD-20 by itself is much more limited though, when compared to the DL4. The DD-20 has more of a lo-fi sound to it. There is a single tone control on this pedal that can make it sound more or less lo-fi to suit your tastes. I usually have the tone almost all the way up to maintain the high frequency content I need.

Anyway, these units will cost you just over $200 each new, but used you might be able to get them both for around the price of just one new. This may not at all be what you are looking to do. Maybe you're stuck on having a rack unit. If that's the case, I've never used any, so I have no advice. Sorry. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response! My main reasoning for wanting a rack unit is because it is going in the effects loop. Any delay I have ever stuck "in front" of the amp (using the amps dist) has sounded terrible. In some styles I know it works but I play with high gain heads and it just sounds like crap. Sort of like sticking a phaser in front of a distortion pedal haha. I have only tried sticking a pedal in the effects loop once or twice but it always seemed to kill the tone. Maybe I am missing something? Are you running the delays in your loop?
I have the Line 6 Synth Modeler pedal which I really like, so their delay is definitely an option but I don't know how it will sound stuck in the effects loop?

Roland made a cool delay - easy to use with KNOBS!
SDE 1000 iIrc. I've seen them on ebay go for under $140. Foot switchable.

I will check out some of these boxes, thanks for the suggestions. I have to stay in this price range because I am selling some other gear to fund it. The stuff I am getting rid of, isn't really worth all that much but perhaps I can scrap together enough to pick up something passable. Worst case scenario, I buy another used m300.

The Roland Delays sound pretty good, but they have one little quirk you need to be aware of. The tap HAS to de done in mulitples of three. The first tap resets the delay time to 0, the second starts the clock, the third stops the clock for your tempo. If you tap in anything other than multiples of three you end up with no delay. The cool thing though is it has a button on it that instantly doubles your delay time.

I've used and SDE1000 for 25 years. 4 tempo storage slots that can be doubled with a touch of one button and a nice modulation circuit that makes a great chorus. It's really a hands-on unit only, but very easy to tweak with knobs and presets.

I've got an old ibanez rackmount digital delay that I think has what you need, but cant' recall the model # (it's lower than 1000 though I think, 700something or 800something maybe?).

GREAT sounding unit, nice faux-analog degredation and HF reduction per repeat, dial in the settings with very analog-type dials, including wild pitch play when turning the knobs in real time. apparently it's a very well respected unit by some famous jazz guy. Brill Frisell maybe? I'm so out of it today I can't remember. anyway, whoever it is, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me LoL

oh, that and I think I paid $30 for it used. not convinced it has tap tempo though, I'd have to check. I used it in the studio without pedals on an aux during mixdown.

cheers,
Don

Back