rack amp and passive monitors question.

dmbfan1981

I am going to be getting a 500W amp that only has two outputs on it.

I wanted to power TWO sets of monitors. One set with 8 inch woofers and one set with probably 4 or 5 inch woofers. 500w would probably be MORE than enough, but can I just run this into a matrix and then split it?? Or does it have to split at the amp? thanks. :)

oh I'm sorry, I meant to be able to A/B them. Not run them at the same time. And by matrix, I meant an audio matrix. which allows you to switch between speakers. I dont think that they will pass the current of the amp through to each set though. I didnt know if they made just a simple speaker switch that would let me to switch between them.

I think I may have answered my own question. I found that they make a such thing as a rack-mount speaker selecter. BUT I am still unsure if the current will pass through it without problems.

dmbfan1981 said:
so if I have the amp running into this....it will power any speakers that I switch to?
Nope!!! this would be for switching the line level input to the amp... you can't (or shouldn't) run powered amp outputs through this...

so basically the ONLY way to do this is to run a splitter into seperate amps hooked to seperate monitors. I was originally going to do bi-amped active monitors off of a behringer minimon audio matrix. So I guess that would probably still be my best best financially.

You can get speaker selector boxes that accept speaker level signal. I have one made by Niles, and its pretty good. Its a passive switcher with no components really to speak of, although it does have a protection "circuit" that I believe impedence matches it when you're running multiple speaker pairs at once. but I don;t use that function since I only switch between pairs, one at a time.

MOFO Pro said:
Nope!!! this would be for switching the line level input to the amp... you can't (or shouldn't) run powered amp outputs through this...

I'm certainly no expert on this, and it is a little confusing since they call it a Line Level Selector, but the description dos say: "As a speaker selector, you can select multiple outputs simultaneously." I guess I misunderstood what that means.

tdukex said:
I'm certainly no expert on this, and it is a little confusing since they call it a Line Level Selector, but the description dos say: "As a speaker selector, you can select multiple outputs simultaneously." I guess I misunderstood what that means.
It is confusing...
Handles balanced inputs... and lets you select multiple speakers at once... what an amp impedance loading nightmare at speaker power level. No issue if your talking about feeding active monitors with line level feeds.

But I keep waiting for Fletcher to turn up and tell me I'm wrong :rolleyes:

I want to switch between three speakers using only one amp.

Signal flow as follows: Ashley Protea EQ System (128 presets i can switch easily between presets), EV amp, The switch I need to buy(or build), Yamaha NS10s or Alesis Monitor Two, or home speakers. Because I have the Ashley EQ I think it would be cost effective to use it instead of buying more amps and eqs.

OR do you think something like this would work: audioplex dot com/ABC

Back