Rachael Ray & Vinyl

I didnt cite anybody. You did. Remember?

Cited someone, eh? Well I'll be darned. And all this time I thought I was sharing an interesting bit of trivia with members of the forum.

As for audio authorities... funny but we don’t seem have them in the US. Wait, I’ll take that back... some people claim they’ve seen them in the Ozark Mountains. They’re described as about 7 ft tall, covered with hair, have really big feet, and don’t smell very nice.

Cooking show host, eh? Oh, I suppose some people would see her that way, but that’s her vocation, not what she is. She’s quite obviously a sensual person and appreciates the finer things in life. I wasn’t surprised when she mentioned her preference for vinyl. She’s a connoisseur of many things, not just food and wine... and married in an Italian castle no less. Yeah, it fits that she would go to the trouble of maintaining an LP collection for her enjoyment rather than settle for something more convenient.

But I propose a toast…

Here’s to Frankenstein, who makes the ballerina appear even more graceful and delicate; here’s to average, which makes brilliance so delightful; here’s to the darkness... ;)

Attachments

• atoast.jpg
    atoast.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 56
As for audio authorities... funny but we don’t seem have them in the US. Wait, I’ll take that back... some people claim they’ve seen them in the Ozark Mountains.

Aaaaahhhhh...............that'll be them Ozark Mountain Daredevils :D:D:D

Well I beg to differ. I suspect the vast majority of the population, whether rich or poor, black or white, educated or uneducated, connoisseurs of the finer things of life or no, or somewhere in the middle on all those counts, will still go for CD over vinyl, as they consistently have for so many years now. How many people of taste and discernment stayed with 78's after vinyl came in?

If having to get up and change the record every 20 minutes or so, is civilised, compared to having it all by remote control, at high audio quality, much longer playing time, with random access and with little or no degradation due to repeated playing, why dont a lot of otherwise civilised people of taste follow her apparent example.

Even amongst the select group of people she and her husband choose to fraternize with, I suspect that when it comes to how they enjoy their recorded music, Rachael and her husband would be a tiny minority.

But correct me if I'm misinformed here.

Last edited:
Well I beg to differ. I suspect the vast majority of the population, whether rich or poor, black or white, educated or uneducated, connoisseurs of the finer things of life or no, or somewhere in the middle on all those counts, will still go for CD over vinyl, as they consistently have for so many years now. How many people of taste and discernment stayed with 78's after vinyl came in?

If having to get up and change the record every 20 minutes or so, is civilised, compared to having it all by remote control, at high audio quality, much longer playing time, with random access and with little or no degradation due to repeated playing, why dont a lot of otherwise civilised people of taste follow her apparent example.

Even amongst the select group of people she and her husband choose to fraternize with, I suspect that when it comes to how they enjoy their recorded music, Rachael and her husband would be a tiny minority.

Why are you defending CDs anyway? Shouldn't you be a fan of mp3 or ac3? That format provides MUCH more music than a plain CD. Plus, you can see the artist, title and album cover with each song that is played. Try that with a CD.

I personally don't mind CDs. I don't have a huge collection, but I still enjoy them. However, if I can find the vinyl equivalent of an album, I generally prefer it over CD. Just a personal preference. I'm not going to try to preach that vinyl is better. I'll let people make up their own minds, if they are capable of such things.

I think you missed the point of this topic entirely. That or you are simply bored. Rachel Ray may not be an "audio authority" and may not change the world. The original post simply mentioned that she, as an individual, has a preference for vinyl. So now people can't express their opinions without being criticized? Go find a hobby if this one little event upsets you so much.

plenty of people do prefer MP3s to anything else. That is their choice and they're entitled to it.
But that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with sound ...... it's all about features and the sad truth is, those same people (the bulk of the music listening public actually) can't hear the difference and don't care anyway.
But I can hear the difference and prefer the better and more accurate timbre of instruments (especially acoustic) thru analog despite the other flaws of surface noise and such that you have to accept with vinyl. You can minimize such things by having a good record cleaning machine and being careful but you can never totally eliminate them. Still, I regularly have people comment on the lack of noise when I play my records on my gear.
As for the supposed 'degradation' that you get after playing a record .. simply not true unless you have crappy playback gear. I use nothing but very small stylus shapes and have always kept my records clean and never played them on cheap Technics plastic turntables with 3 or 4 gram tracking weight and I have 40 year old records that I've played hundreds of times and they still sound pristine and if you heard them you'd have no choice but to admit that.
Does anyone nowadays want to go to that much trouble to play music? HELL NO!!! But that's just an example of how little importance sound quality has with most listeners today. That's just the way it is and I don't really care ....... I have my collection and I hear the difference and don't mind getting my lazy butt off the couch to change sides every 20 minutes.

There's a reason that vinyl has not died here 25 years after its' predicted demise and it's always nice to see someone who isn't a musician that actually listens and has a preference for one over the other based on how it sounds and nothing else.
Good for her.

I think that MP3's will be viewed like 8 tracks in a few years.The technology is here to go away from compressed formats to a more hi-fi ones like DVD quality sound.As soon as every person on earth has an MP3 player the marketers will take over and make an emphasis on high quality thus starting a whole new round of technology and new formats to sell to the public.Look at television and how it's progressed.

Maybe I should dust off my records some day.I've been meaning to show my kids what is was like in playing music back in the stone(r) age.:eek:

I think that MP3's will be viewed like 8 tracks in a few years.The technology is here to go away from compressed formats to a more hi-fi ones like DVD quality sound.As soon as every person on earth has an MP3 player the marketers will take over and make an emphasis on high quality thus starting a whole new round of technology and new formats to sell to the public.Look at television and how it's progressed.
I think that's probably true.

Dammit! I came into this thread hoping to see a picture of Rachel Ray in a vinyl catsuit, and all I get is you asshats bickering back and forth. This thread sucks!

Dammit! I came into this thread hoping to see a picture of Rachel Ray in a vinyl catsuit, and all I get is you asshats bickering back and forth. This thread sucks!

Hope this helps. ;)

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 26
Back