QY-70 Drum Sounds - Need some advice

nostrovia

I have a QY-70 from Yamaha and I like this unit a lot. Very easy to use, portable, etc. Only problem is I can't seem to get a drum sound out of it that I like. My main complaint is that the patchs seem to sound thin and often tinny. For instance I'd like a boomier bass drum.

I've experimented matching the sound of various album tracks but end up on the frustrated side of the road, so to speak. Has anyone had similar experience and maybe some tips for getting a truer to life sound out of this unit?

On a side note, has anyone checked out the new Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-670 that will be released soon? It looks sweet and I am thinking of picking one up since I have always liked the old DR-550.

Thanks,
Chris

The Yamaha QY70 is never known for its drum sound. It's a songwriting tool more than a drum machine. I suppose there's nothing much you can do about the sound but to get a dedicated drum machine for the job. I liked the Zoom RhythmTrek 123 I got recently. It scores high for realistic drum and bass. I don't know about the DR-670 but the Boss DR770 is great and should be much better than the DR550 that you like.

Thanks hongteck,

I picked up a used DR-550 from Ebay and compared it to the QY-70. The 550 definitely had a fuller drum sound, more depth, less thin. While the 550 is awsome I want more sounds than it can offer and I also like to add some effects to seperate drums sounds so I'll probably pick up the 770 and sell off the 550.

The 670 is new 550. Very nice, but no effects :(

If anyone is interested here's Roland's spec on the DR-670:

http://www.rolandus.com/PRODUCTS/MI/BS_RM.HTM

Take care,
Chris

Back