Quiet Solution Products

halo206

http://www.quietsolution.com

I was searching google for "resilent channel" and i found this. I didnt check (calculate) out prices or anything but they claim just installing their board gives you a higher STC than a single resilient channel. It says its like 5.90$ a square foot. Ive never done any resilient channel building so i wouldnt know any costs.

So whats the deal with this stuff?

- Mike

halo206 said:
http://www.quietsolution.com

I was searching google for "resilent channel" and i found this. I didnt check (calculate) out prices or anything but they claim just installing their board gives you a higher STC than a single resilient channel. It says its like 5.90$ a square foot. Ive never done any resilient channel building so i wouldnt know any costs.

So whats the deal with this stuff?

Mike,

I don't doubt that this product works........ but when you figure their 5.90 psf cost - which rings out at 188.80 per 4x8 sheet - plus tax - you realize that you can do one hell of a lot of layers of drywall for the money.

On the basis of cost - you can't beat drywall for the $$$$$.

Rod

did you see the pricing analysis though? i think the cost is totall wall assembly sq/ft, not just the panels, including labor - their comparisons but the $5.89 figure in line with the other construction methods, but i guess it could be spin. haven't done this yet, but from other wall construction projects i know that even basic studs and sheathing adds up, and don't even talk about how long it takes me! (dealing with retrofits in a 90 year old house!)

http://www.quietsolution.com/pricing.html

The presentation is hype - you can't base cost on the square foot area of floor that the wall covers.......... in the case of double wall construction they are more than double the actual cost in the comparison - don't be fooled by their number games.

Yup - picture it - you can pay more than twice as much money for their STC 52 wall than for a double framed STC 58 wall......... and the double framed STC 58 wall is only (*)2 times quieter than theirs......

Soounds like a good finacial investment to me.

Rod

* - Scientic reasearch has indicated that although 10 db is an actual measured doubling of isolation - the human ear reacts to a 6 db reduction as the source being cut in 1/2. (which is doubling the isolation).

Those cost figures are plain wrong for the DIYer. They are lumping material and labor together. I'm sure they are exagerating an added labor cost for the "additional inspections", QC (rework), etc for the traditional construction. Also the obvious component of "sellable space" at $200/sf.

The real cost to the DIYer, depending on how you account for own time, is more like $4.50/s.f. M&L tops at standard trade rates. This would be worst case for double studwall construction with mineral wool sound batts and 5/8" gypsum board.

These figures are an average of what I pay contractors at work, RS Means data, and my own DIY experience.

Their stuff is good but very expensive, and yes their pricing definitly includes a big factor for labor. Also you have to talk about the cost of having these heavy panels custom shipped to your site rather than just going to the Home Depot with a pickup.

Back