quick studiophile bx5 review

David Lo Pan

Just got a pair of these a few days ago. Thought I'd put up a quick review for anyone who is looking to buy a pair.

I bought them because I didn't want something that would overpower my small room with bass to get a good sound. I didn't have to worry about that. No matter what switches I flipped or how I positioned them, the bass was weak. Tried a few things under the speakers to see if that could help, but nothing really did. I guess a 5.25" driver really isn't enough to get good bass response. (surprise!)

At first the sound seemed harsh, but flipping the high frequency switch in back smoothed that out. I experimented with the mid switch, but that just mad the sound 'honky'. The switches do get a thumbs up for being able to tailor the sound to the acoustics in your room.

These speakers reminded my of monitor versions of my AKG 240M headphones - uncolored, undisguised sound. For that they get good marks. I had thoughts of buying these first and then adding the SP8S subwoofer, but that's another $400, which takes the total cost to about $250 more than just buying the BX8's instead.

As a side note, when I turned up my PC speakers just slightly to get the sound of the PC subwoofer, the bass really filled out. I just don't want to have to do that because I'd be coloring the sound with the PC speakers.

Verdict: They're getting sent back. I'll have to make more room on my desk and in my budget for something like the BX8's. In that respect the BX5's were good enough to make me give the 8's a chance to prove themselves.

<<the bass was weak. SNIP I guess a 5.25" driver really isn't enough to get good bass response. >>

if you'd read the number of other threads on these monitors prior to buying, you'd have read that they will NOT give you any chest-crushing thump. at all. i mean, whaddya expect out of 5in drivers?

you DO get plenty of bass though--it's just that you're hearing it in its full, round, rich glory as opposed to feeling it kick you in the stomach. i have no problems making mixes where the bass holds its own on my sp5b's. i guess it's a matter of getting used to hearing bass as opposed to feeling it. or maybe it's my room, too.

too bad you didn't like em, but if you want to feel the bass, then yeah, you'll need something else. as someone in another thread said, "snoop dog would NOT use these for mixing...."

good luck with the B8's!

wade

Yes, your review reminds me of how subjective monitors are. When reseaching my own purchase this summer, I tried some highly recommended monitors alongside the BX5s, and for my music--jazzy rock--I found the other monitors very bass heavy and hard to mix with (in fact, I was stuffing bass ports with socks trying to stop the bass!). I like a tight clean bass that doesn't muddy the mix, and the BX5s fit the bill perfectly (after I found the right speaker placement and EQ settings). In short, I'm reminded that there's no subsitute for sampling potential monitors in your own studio space and with your own choice of music. You raise a good point in your review. (See the other recent thread for more feedback on M-Audio monitors.)

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you choose.

J.

I wasn't expecting in-your-face bass - after reading some reviews here and elsewhere I was expecting at least adequate bass. Nobody had them locally and I had a chance to get them for only $260 new, so I took the chance.

<< after reading some reviews here and elsewhere I was expecting at least adequate bass>>

i get plenty of "at least adequate bass" out of my SP5B's.

as has been said around here in reference to these monitors, placement is EVERYTHING. granted the phrase "adequate bass" is subjective, but i find nothing lacking in the bass of the 5Bs (beyond the lack of chest-caving thump). the bass is rich, round and very solid--you get a LOT of tone without the mud. but i also have mine placed correctly--a change in a couple inches could (and does) make a huge difference.

if you weren't getting "adequate bass" i'd suggest a change in your monitor positioning, maybe a decent set of speaker stands, or maybe even a set of Auralex MoPads. or it could be that you were just expecting too much from a 5in cone. in the case of the latter, you'll prolly be happier with larger cones anyway.

monitors are definitely subjective, and i'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong :D or that the 5Bs are "right for you" since they obviously aren't.......i'm just trying to help you understand that the SP5B (and i would have to assume the next generation BX5) has plenty of bass to mix with (at least, for a number of folks around here). unless, of course, you're doing hip hop.....or the new Vic Wooten album. :P

our bass player was out at the house last night and with him there, i ran some new mixes for his side project last night and he was stunned at the clarity of tone his bass had and the overall way everything sounded (he couldn't phrase his amazement/happiness any better than that). :D

wade

I've got a pair of BX5's in my home studio. Love them for their upper end, but I did have to do a lot of positioning adjustments to get the bass to come out in the room that I have them. But the only way you'll get any kind of heart felt thump from a 5" sub would be to find one that's ported. Good luck with the X8's, I'd like to hear what you think of them :D

opdev said:
GC had these on sale this weekend for $199

Good. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw that price this weekend. If my CC wasn't already max'd out for X-Mas I would have picked up a pair.

That place just drives me crazy. They had the BX-5's for the ultra cheap price of $199 but yet they wanted to charge me $10 each for mic clips. I told the sales weasel to get lost. I still bought a mic stand that day but ended up returning it 2 days later.

Back