Quick Size/Layout Question

guinsu

I'm planning on finishing off part of my basement for a home studio. Obviously I've been doing some reading and plan to do a lot more before I commit to anything. I do have one question about layout and what would be more desirable. I can partition my basement one of two ways, either as a large rectangle about 26"x15" (minus a little around the size for walls, utility access, etc..) or as an L shape with the larger area 23"x15 and a smaller section 11"x13". The first plan gives me around 406sq ft of studio space, the 2nd 508. The first plan does leave me more utility room, which is a consideration if I ever have a family in this house. Which idea would make more sense from a standpoint of acoustics, practicality, etc...? Thanks for any help. Primary users of the studio would be my own bands, 4 piece rock and 5 piece indie including drums. Tracking usually done separately. Occasional rock or acoustic clients (i.e. friends or bands I know).

guinsu said:
or as an L shape with the larger area 23"x15 and a smaller section 11"x13".

That gets my vote because you can put the players around the corner and get at least some isolation. But put the L behind you, so you can still monitor in a "normal" rectangle as shown in the drawing below.

--Ethan

art_room-setup1.gif

Back