Quick question

Krystof01

Hi,
I decided to go with the Roland JV-1080 and a soundlogic sl-161 midi controller (I haven't received either yet).

Could someone please tell me if the Roland JV1080 supports aftertouch as this is one of the main reasons I opted for the controller; I could have used my Yamaha PSR-220 which I don't think has aftertouch (does it?). I can cancel the sl-161 but not the Roland module.

So will the JV-1080 support the aftertouch and am I right in assuming my Yamaha PSR-220 doesn't have it.

Should have thought about this before buying I know but it's only just occured to me.

Thanks,
Krystof.

Almost all professtional synths/modules (including JV1080) have aftertouch.

Most "home" keyboards (Yamaha PSR, Casio CTK...) don't.

Just to confuse the issue there are 2 types of aftertouch-

Monophonic- All notes will have aftertouch applied at same time.

Polyphonic - Aftertouch is applied to individual notes.

There is also Release Velocity which is a nice feature to have for pads, strings and horns. Check the specs on their website and they will tell you what features they have.

Also beware that some modules support aftertouch but that doesnt guarantee that it is programmed into the patches. The Yamaha Motif is an example of this.

TexRoadkill said:
Just to confuse the issue there are 2 types of aftertouch-

Monophonic- All notes will have aftertouch applied at same time.

Polyphonic - Aftertouch is applied to individual notes.

There is also Release Velocity which is a nice feature to have for pads, strings and horns. Check the specs on their website and they will tell you what features they have.

Also beware that some modules support aftertouch but that doesnt guarantee that it is programmed into the patches. The Yamaha Motif is an example of this.

The only synths that made extensive use of polyphonic aftertouch were ones from Ensoniq (SQ-80,VFX,SD-1) - otherwise they're really not that common.

Back