Quick question bout laptop

Crap laptop: A laptop with any featues deemed to be crappy including but not limited to: 5 years of age, low memory, weighs 10 pounds, water logged, no screen etc...

I might pick one up at the pawn shop or something.

applesmasher said:
Crap laptop: A laptop with any featues deemed to be crappy including but not limited to: 5 years of age, low memory, weighs 10 pounds, water logged, no screen etc...
IMHO a 5 year old laptop will you nothing but headaches when you try to record with it.

But if i use it only for recording, then i can transfer the audio to my home computer for editing right? The laptop just holds the soundcard and audio?

applesmasher said:
But if i use it only for recording, then i can transfer the audio to my home computer for editing right? The laptop just holds the soundcard and audio?
That's right.

you could do pcmcia card-->firewire adaptor-->good sound card...that way you'll have something really nice (828mkII, etc) that you can use on your home pc as well.

If you have a laptop that's 5 years old, you are pushing it. I mean 5 years ago USB was a luxury to have on a laptop, so was a pII 350 :D

And from what I have found you don't save much money on buying a used machine. Save up and get a new one. then you'll have something that won't give you all those headaches.

Just my $0.02

To be honest I can't see the use of using an old laptop just to record each track at a time and then transfer it to another PC. Won't you want to be running a sequencer on the laptop while you record so you can actually hear the other parts of the song while tracking ? An old laptop could struggle.

However, if you insist on going down the route definately get a cheap USB unit, like the M-Audio Audiophile USB so that you can at least use it on any PC or Mac you choose.

Back