Quick Question about the Akai DPS16

BobO

Can you "save" songs (projects) on the hard disk of the DPS16? I'm a bit confused by the manual I downloaded from their site. It says that the DPS16 can ony handle one project at a time. Does that mean you must save all projects somewhere else?!?

I just assumed you could save 15 or 20 (or more) songs (projects) on the disk.

Quick follow-up to the above question...I would be using a Philips CDR775 for "mastering." This machine uses "Audio Only" disks, so I don't know if I can save DPS16 projects with it.

Handling one project at a time just means that you can't do two seperate "projects" simultaneously. I make each song a seperate project, and when I want to switch to another song I just change to another project... it VERY easy. The hard drive stores each seperate "project" until you select that project and pull it back up.
You don't need a back-up hard drive for storage, unless you choose to have one. There's a SCSI on the DPS-16 for that purpose, but it's not really needed, since the DPS-16 has a 10-gig hard drive. I've got over 20 songs on my unit right now, and there's still lots of space left.

As far as using the Phillips CDR goes... I own one, and it's NOT a good choice for mastering, because it's a commercial-grade recorder with virtually no options whatsoever.
My other CDRW (the one I use with my DPS-16) is a Tascam CDRW-700. The Tascam has tons of useful options for mastering purposes, such as digital fades (in and out), db boost and cut, and MOST importantly.... dithering.
If you record in 24 bit/96kHz on the Akai, using the Phillips CDR will "truncate" the song... basically lopping-off bits, which will kill all that beautiful realistic sound you get in a 24 bit recording.
It's a bad match... don't do it. And that goes for ANY 24 bit stand-alone unit you buy, not just the Akai.

Buck

Thanks for all of the info, Buck. It's exactly what I needed to know. I downloaded the DPS16 manual and read most of it...it doesn't seem to say anywhere that you can store projects on the disk. Maybe they just assume everyone knows that.

As for the Philips cd machine, I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to live with it for a while, as I don't have a budget for another CD Burner. Hey, I don't even have a budget for the DPS16!...but I would really like to record more than two tracks at once (the limit on my otherwise terrific Boss BR-8).

I assume you are happy with your Akai machine. If not, let me know. I'm about an inch away from purchasing one!

Thank you again...BobO.

The number of projects you can have is only limited by the amount of hard disc space. The new DPS16's come with a 20-G drive, but I have one of the old 10-G machines. 20 gigabytes is huge, and it would take a lot of recording to fill that up.

BobO...

The Akai is an awesome unit, I have no problem giving a strong reccomendation. It's a very "user-friendly" recorder with loads of nice features.

Have fun! ;)
Buck

Well, I took the plunge and bought the DPS16 on Friday. Arrived via UPS last night. Got it a Zzounds.com...$1,499, with a free AKG C1000S mic thrown in. Was all set to buy it at Sam Ash in NYC but those assholes gave me too much double-talk, and I got fed up. Would have been $1,400+ with the tax at Sam Ash, so I look at it as a wash.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to using the Akai. It seems pretty awesome!

Back