Quick question about string tension

james123

Teenager from mars
Hi guys,

Ok I after purchasing my last guitar (ESP LTD EC-50) I found I didnt like how high the action was, so I lowered the string height to a height that I like but now the strings are really loose and when I hit them they move around alot. At the moment I have size .11 strings on it , if i got .12's would this sort out the problem?

Please can you give me some suggestions on how to tighten the string tension.

Cheers :)

Take it to a good repair shop and get it set up. They will work with you to get it right, even if it takes more than one go round.

The problem is, a guitars geometry is quite complex (or, more acurately, quite finiky). Getting the work done by a professional will insure that you get what you need. They will talk to you about how you play, what kind of sound you are after, and what you want out of your guitar. It shouldn't cost you more than $75-100 (depending on your area of the country, and the shop you go to), and you will get a guitar back which will make you extremely happy.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Speaking of string tension...I saw footage of George Harrison playing ages ago and his strings seemed to oscilate/ vibrate a good 6 or 7 mil. with each strike of the pick.

To me, on TV, it looked like he must have had really loose strings for them to appear to quiver so much at each pick strike. But, I doubt they were loose.

Anyway, my strings (at any tension) never look so supple or resonant. If I pluck my string with force, sure it sounds out...but the string does not visibly vibrate and twang like I saw on TV.

I've always wondered if what I saw was just a quirk of TV. Something like how a computer monitor looks when you film it with a camcorder.

Hard to explain, I suppose.

Monkey Allen said:
Hard to explain, I suppose.

Not really. It's all to do with the frame rate of television. It works kind of like a strobe light and allows you to see things you can see with the naked eye. Your strings on TV would look much the same.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

That's pretty much what I deduced. At first though, I thought that maybe I was just hopeless at setting up strings.

Anyway...the oscillation was quite pronounced. Looked good.

Back