Quick Mic Comparison Question in Regards to Acoustic Guitar

SeekingTheTruth

So I've got two CM217 Cardioid Condenser Microphones and an MXL 990. I'm trying to record some acoustic guitar tracks. I've tried the two condenser 12th fret and sound hole/pickup area technique described in the Acoustic Guitar recording sticky on the main page, and I've gotten decent results that i can work with in time, but I also tried just the 990 straight with the guitar and got a nice full authentic sounding tone as well.

Now here's the question.

Do I gain more by using the condenser mics which provide a less... shall we say true sound?... but that give me a little more sound/EQ options but also comes with more work? (Keeping in mind that I may end up never really getting that perfect guitar tone with them due to the fact that I have to blend two mics into one and that they are separating the guitar's tone into two tracks)

Or do I go with the MXL 990 which gives a nice full tone in one track, but also seems slightly less "intimate" and maybe less orthodox, running the risk of things becoming sonically cluttered in the end?

Or both techniques at the same time?

It's a hard choice between what looks right, but what is more complicated, and what is easy, but may not be enough.

I'm tracking several songs for guitar and want to use the right method with what I have before I start.

Thanks!

(Disclaimer: I'm the guy that wrote and recorded the sticky you referenced.)

There is no right or wrong--it depends on the song and/or the mix. The track in that sticky was all acoustic, so a wide stereo, wall of sound was appropriate for me at that time. But in a more dense mix, a single acoustic track is often more appropriate (and I do that all the time).

As far as the mic choice goes, I've owned a couple 990's, and found the sound to be really boxy. Even if I were going for a single track, I'd take one of my matched pair SDCs and just record a single. But your experience could be completely different--different guitar, different room, different playing style, etc.

We could offer better advice if you'd post some samples. And describe what the end goal is--is it just acoustic guitar? Acoustic guitar plus vocals? Or an acoustic guitar as a single track in a mix with a band?

And for what it's worth, the choice isn't between "what looks right, but what is more complicated, and what is easy, but may not be enough." The choice is between what sounds better, and what doesn't.

Music is the art of the ear.

tbh, it's kinda a tough one to call without hearing the two clips. is there any way you could upload the two examples as short clips?

Otherwise, my gut instinct would be to say to go with whatever sounds most natural but even that depends on the context of the tracks their in. For example, in a pop/rock mix i'd be tempted to go for a slightly brighter sounding acoustic in mono (which, with the mics you've mentioned, would probably be best captured with one of the SDC's aimed around the 12th to 14th fret). however, in a sparser/folkier mix i'd say go for something more natural in stereo (again, with the mics you've mentioned i'd be tempted to try the 990 where you had it and then one or both of the SDC's either as a stereo pair or somewhere near the bridge, checking for phasing issues).

I'd also suggest having a listen to songs by big artists who's songs are in a similar vein to what you're recording to hear what kind of acoustic guitar sound they're using.

(Disclaimer: I'm the guy that wrote and recorded the sticky you referenced.)

There is no right or wrong--it depends on the song and/or the mix. The track in that sticky was all acoustic, so a wide stereo, wall of sound was appropriate for me at that time. But in a more dense mix, a single acoustic track is often more appropriate (and I do that all the time).

As far as the mic choice goes, I've owned a couple 990's, and found the sound to be really boxy. Even if I were going for a single track, I'd take one of my matched pair SDCs and just record a single. But your experience could be completely different--different guitar, different room, different playing style, etc.

We could offer better advice if you'd post some samples. And describe what the end goal is--is it just acoustic guitar? Acoustic guitar plus vocals? Or an acoustic guitar as a single track in a mix with a band?

And for what it's worth, the choice isn't between "what looks right, but what is more complicated, and what is easy, but may not be enough." The choice is between what sounds better, and what doesn't.

Music is the art of the ear.

That awkward moment when you post something at exactly the same time as someone else and end up basically saying the same thing. One day my fingers will type faster and i'll get there first :p

So, yeah, what whitestrat said

awesome. Great input. I'm going to try using the 990 as a single track AND the stereo SDCs. That way I can mix it in or out depending what works. It's going to be a lighter folk tune with cello, and mandolin as well.

Cool, let us know how it comes out, and don't forget to check the phase between the mics.

the last proper folky thing i did with a cello and percussion i used and LDC and a ribbon mic in M/S for a soft, natural sound for the guitar that worked really well for those tracks, but otherwise i normally do a similar thing; an LDC in the middle and an SDC or two somewhere and blend to taste :)

Back